Notices

center decat pipes differ over years????

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2005, 04:40 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default center decat pipes differ over years????

posted this in general too but might get a bettter responce here

got a slight problem with an exhaust ive purchased today,and wonder if anyone can shed some light on it ..... seems the center section is too long for my car

the system is a straight through middle pipe and a miltek rear silencer,now i can fit the miltek and my original fitment center section no problem,but with the straight through item it seems to be about a inch and a half to two inches too long and the rear box will not fit and jams up against the rear valence,it came off a 94 wagon and im trying to fit it to my my00 wagon,are there any differences in pipe lenght on these model years as i thought all systems on the classics were compatable,the new center pipe measures 54 inches or 138cm flange to flange.is this correct?.short of cutting and shutting it 2 inches shorter im at a loss what to do,the miltek silencer has increased the burble greatly,but id like to remove the center silencer (import) as well
Old 19 November 2005, 07:14 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

Are you mixing JDM & UK spec parts? that could be the problem..
Old 19 November 2005, 11:26 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

dont think so Bryno as the system came off a 94 ra and fitted ok on that car,and mines a jap spec import too,just a different model year.......the only thing i can think of is that the downpipes are different to stop it fitting on mine.its deff the center section thats too long as i tried to fit the sti rearbox i had on originally and that just wouldnt clear the rear valance with the new center section,had to refitt my original center box with the new miltek silencer...gonna have to find me a guy who can cut and shut it for me...or cut my losses and sell it
Old 20 November 2005, 02:05 AM
Neutral Cruiser
Scooby Regular

If you are mixing brands it can cause this i.e, Different mid section to rear silencer. This is because the pipes coming off rear silencers are mated to the centre section of that said make, and therefore sometimes will not fit (length wise) to the centre section of another brand.
Old 20 November 2005, 10:34 AM
rigga
Scooby Regular

i understand what you are saying...but this system fitted as it was on another wagon,so i would have thought it would fit on my wagon ok,i understand buying different parts of the exhaust from different manufactures might cause problems,but this was a tried and tested system can anyone who has a straight through center pipe lying around ( long shot i know) measure it flange to flange to see how long it is
Old 20 November 2005, 02:38 PM
buzzard
Scooby Regular

neutral cruiser is right in what he says. can you try the back box from the car you got the 'too long' centre section from? my guess is it will fit comfortably under the rear valence on your car with the long centre section.
cut it..and shut it..
Old 20 November 2005, 10:40 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

buzzard.... ive now got the rear miltek silencer from the "too long system" fitted along with my original center pipe......sounds great by the way......... if i fit the center pipe from the "too long system" either the miltek or the sti rear box i had fitted originally would not fit at all,by the way i placed the miltek side by side with the sti and the original twin exit peashooter and they are all the same size.im getting the center section shortened by 2 inches hopefully this week,just curious as to the differencs over the years with exhaust systems...... i paid money for this bit of pipework....its going on whether it likes it or not........
Old 21 November 2005, 08:29 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

they should all be interchangeable, no difference is length of any of the components........................

the problem arises (normally) when fitting aftermarket JDM sections as they quite often use their own sizing system, whereas people like Magnex, etc. stick to the std Subaru factiry sizes................

Magnex s/steel straight thro' centre's are only around £65inc. NEW....................