Notices

Engine warming up / cool down periods?

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2005, 04:36 PM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Engine warming up / cool down periods?

err as the title...

55 WRX Wagon, 1,500 miles, (had me 1st service obviously)

at present i don't go above 3000 revs until the water temp gets up to normal. apparently that is still too soon?

i think my cool down precedure is fine- tend to cruise for the last few minutes before stopping trying to keep revs below 2000 and don't turn the engine off until i've stopped faffing around + unpacked stuff. then leave it another 30 secs or so (or until the bird starts calling me a **** more than 3 times)

any opinions? i hear oilman knows a thing or two on the subject.

90% of my driving is a 35 mile run to work on a motorway + then back
Old 24 October 2005, 05:18 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

I'm running an oil temp gauge, after the coolant gauge is up to temp it takes around another 7 or 8 mins before the oil gets to a good operating temp.As for cooling down i do the same as you the last 3 or 4 mins of the journey take it easy and all should be ok
Old 24 October 2005, 05:34 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As stated by Turbotits, it takes a lot longer than most people realise for the oil to reach working temperature and his assessment is correct.
As for shutting down, providing you have been off boost for the last two or three minutes just switch off the engine. No point wasting fuel and time.
Old 25 October 2005, 10:57 AM
New_scooby_04

Just my two cents:

I give the car about 10 miles before going above 3000 rpm -probably longer than necessary in most instances- but im sure my engine is grateful!

As for cooling down, if you do drive off-boost for the last few minutes its as good as leaving the car to idle. Personally, I'll do both if possible. By the time I've faffed around with the radio and steering lock its a minute or so anyway. Can't hurt! :-) What you've really got to avoid is ragging the car when cold and turning the car straight off after prolonged periods on-boost. Just a bit of common sense and mechanical sympathy really.

I seem to recall the case of one chap who came on here complaining that his engine had let go, when asked about the circumstances it transpired that he'd basically driven his car from cold right onto the motorway where he'd gone at speeds of up to 120mph! At least he was honest

NS04
Old 25 October 2005, 01:00 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

I don't sit still during warm up but for the first few miles/10 minutes I take it easy (off boost) while driving. Usually until the oil is up to temperature. The on arrival I'll keep off boost for the last couple of miles, then leave the car running, while I gather my stuff and close windows/switch off lights/stereo etc.

Of course the wife thinks its a get in and go/switch straight off car :-( Mind you she's unlikely to take it for a blast.
Old 25 October 2005, 02:13 PM
What if ?
Scooby Regular

I stay below 3000 Rpm for about 5 mins then go to max 4000 Rpm until a minimum of 10 minutes has lapsed (longer in the winter) I will then go to about 5,500 Rpm till about 15 mins, then who cares !....give me the open road !
Old 25 October 2005, 09:45 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Just treat it like any other car and it will be fine,there is nothing special about the mechanicals compared to any other turbo car so why treat it any different just a little bit of common sense

powerman