Notices

Faint Noise in Gear Lever <<<<<<<??????

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2005, 06:20 PM
MKC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faint Noise in Gear Lever <<<<<<<??????

Hi,

MY99 UK Turbo Impreza

When I move the gear lever from side to side (or put pressure on it sideways) whilst in gear and going along I hear/feel a very faint scraping/vibrating from deep below the gear lever which you have to concentrate on to hear. This noise was really bad before I had my centre dif replaced and a number of gears and bearings done, but is now just faintly still there.

I have been told that it is normal and that sometimes when people have a tendancy to drive whilst holding the gearlever putting pressure constantly on it to the left or right whilst in gear they can wear something away. A Y pin or clip or something.

Does anyone know any more about this ?

Can anyone try it on theirs to see if they hear anything ?

Thanks...
Old 21 October 2005, 07:23 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Normal. If you start getting noises that get worse with time, without holding the gear lever over, that's the time to start worrying.
Old 22 October 2005, 02:04 AM
Chad!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One possability that I had with mine is, half way down the gear lever there is a bolt through the gear lever itself with a bar that goes down through the floor. If you take the bolt out, there is a bush there. I used two fabric washers (old sump plug style), one either side of the bush. I re-fitted the bolt (not too tight though cause it'll make your gear lever too stiff when changing gear) and this cured my problem. Mine was like a metal-on-metal rattling kind of noise. Don't know if yours is the same problem.

Hope this helps,

Chad.