Notices

gt spec headers / up-pipe - keep blowing gasket

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2005, 11:20 PM
scoobyDAZZA
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gt spec headers / up-pipe - keep blowing gasket

must have blown 5 this year , the flanges are triangle and its the same side everytime . . .removed the whole lot and they are flat . . garage recently used nylon lock nuts which aint clever seeings as the heat melted the nylon
then another place replaced the gasket and used decent strong nut n bolts n washers

this was 3 months ago , today i went to long marston and on my 4th run ive got a blowing , 99% sure its the headers again ,

if the flanges are flat and we're now using decent nuts,bolts and washers why is it still doing this ?

car is my00 uk turbo approx 350 bhp . . have considered changing the manifold for something else but the only affordable one at the moment aren't very well rated

any ideas ? cheers in advance

daz
Old 15 October 2005, 11:37 PM
recopish
Scooby Regular

are you giving the components a little smear of gun gum, just before you give contact!
Originally Posted by scoobyDAZZA
must have blown 5 this year , the flanges are triangle and its the same side everytime . . .removed the whole lot and they are flat . . garage recently used nylon lock nuts which aint clever seeings as the heat melted the nylon
then another place replaced the gasket and used decent strong nut n bolts n washers

this was 3 months ago , today i went to long marston and on my 4th run ive got a blowing , 99% sure its the headers again ,

if the flanges are flat and we're now using decent nuts,bolts and washers why is it still doing this ?

car is my00 uk turbo approx 350 bhp . . have considered changing the manifold for something else but the only affordable one at the moment aren't very well rated

any ideas ? cheers in advance

daz
Old 16 October 2005, 12:22 AM
scoobyDAZZA
Scooby Regular

if you mean that blue stuff then yeah we did last time but got to be careful as i dont want it being sucked through the turbo

like i say,the last time we fitted 1 it has lasted the longest but after 4.5 miles of thrashing it today and 18 launches it finally gave up . . well,it gave up on the 4th run which cost me over 0.5 second for the last 14 runs
Old 16 October 2005, 06:46 PM
callum Sti02
Scooby Regular

Just because they were flat does not mean they still will be. I've had a different make warp three times so it's worth checking each time you replace the gasket.
Old 17 October 2005, 01:24 AM
scoobyDAZZA
Scooby Regular

they were flat last time , we were gonna machine them but they were 100% flat
thinking now it may be because 1 nut n bolt is a bastid to get at being triangular flanges and we may not have got it tight enough . spose when i previously let a garage do it they didn't bother TRYING to get it tight whereas me and me mate did which is why it lasted longer , oh well,gonna have another crack at it when its in for the next service
i have 1 gasket left . . .

MONEY - if you read this,send me a couple more bud
daz
Old 17 October 2005, 11:56 AM
V5-APS
Scooby Regular

Can you not put in more than one gasket ??
I have heard this cures it for some.
Old 17 October 2005, 12:04 PM
scoobyDAZZA
Scooby Regular

thought about using 3 blown 1's tbh lol
obviously turning them around so they got 3 good sides

i'm just gonna order 2 more of frank and if they keep doing it then i'll have to invest in some different ones
Old 17 October 2005, 09:14 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Gasket I got with GT Spec 2 was doubled up anyway

The flanges must be expanding with the heat. Cant see what else is causing the gasket to blow? - I was informed that the td05/20g was causing a lot of pressure in the system for my Gruppe S headers and causing it to blow (but I no longer have issues as I changed the headers and put on a more capable (and more expensive) Turbo

Have you taken them off fully to have a look

I had similar problems with Gruppe S headers (but they were only a 2 bolt flange) - effectively gave them away and went to the 3 Bolt GT Spec ones - I made sure they were 100% flat and fitted together perfect (by my Bro in Law) given I'd had 1 year of headaches with Headers!!
Old 24 October 2005, 06:28 PM
scoobyDAZZA
Scooby Regular

right

re-fitted the headers earlier and YES the face wasn't 100% flat
99 but not 100 so after a bit of filing we are now happy that they are flat

time will tell , , , then on the way home me bleeding jubilee clip broke on the intercooler pipe and car wouldn't boost , , fixed that at home in the pi55ing down weather , went for a spin and it come off again
gonna get a decent clip of a mate tomorrow . .

cheers all for replies

daz
Old 24 October 2005, 07:47 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

You dont have much luck mate

Will reply to your email in a min buddy
Old 24 October 2005, 10:00 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a common problem but quite easy to overcome. Hayward & Scott or any other competant engineering shop can make you up a spacer. From experience this needs to be 4-6mm thick. You still need a gasket top and bottom. This means that the uppipe flanges are always in compression. It is essential that the flanges are flattened and level prior to assembly but having done this mod on several cars it has effected permanent cures.
Old 25 October 2005, 10:37 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

if you mean that blue stuff then yeah we did last time but got to be careful as i dont want it being sucked through the turbo
The only blue stuff I know is liquid gasket stuff for water pipework (thermostat gasket for example) The red stuff is for the hotter stuff (although I use the Holts paste -grey) - the blue stuff I'm thinking of won't last long at exhaust temps.
Old 25 October 2005, 10:48 AM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

I made my own gasket from 3mm thick copper sheet, OEM gasket either side - no problems with GruppeS V2 headers and 2" H&S solid uppipe.

I had a screaming noise on boost for months - turned out to be my egt probe in the uppipe

Order of assembly is also important - start at the engine and work backwards, make sure everything is tight and lines up with the next piece before bolting that part up.

Andrew...
Old 25 October 2005, 02:36 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting Andrew. I was going to use copper sheet because of its availability but decided not to because I thought the melting point was too low and close to the EGTs that can be achieved. (well over 900 C) I agree that the assembly method is critical.
(Got my last e-mail?)
Old 25 October 2005, 09:42 PM
scoobyDAZZA
Scooby Regular

fixed the hose problem now,hopefully,just used better clips,, shabby ones came with the fmic, may change the lot just for summink to do lol..

got a track day saturday,so here's hoping both 'problems' hold out this time

i'm quietly confident
Old 28 October 2005, 02:32 PM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

I had the uppipe off yesterday to port my exhaust housing and the OEM/Copper/OEM uppipe gasket combo were in perfect condition, the copper gasket had work-hardened nicely. There were no tell tale signed of leakage on any of the gaskets or flanges.

Harvey, see you Sunday hopefully.

Andrew...
Old 31 October 2005, 05:51 PM
scoobyDAZZA
Scooby Regular

fixed the hose problem now,hopefully,just used better clips,, shabby ones came with the fmic, may change the lot just for summink to do lol..

got a track day saturday,so here's hoping both 'problems' hold out this time

i'm quietly confident

BLEW AGAIN