noob engine questions

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2005, 08:46 PM
LDA
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noob engine questions

hey all,

right i'm doing my best to learn as much as i can before i post too much so please bare with me and my basic scoob knowhow.

1) bottom end bearings.
what are they like for life time? this is on a jap import 1995 wrx thats done about 70k miles.
should i change them now before they need doing or are they going to be fine for ages?

2) turbo
how do i work out what turbo i have on the car and then how hard can i push it (and the rest of the engine) without blowing it up?? i'm after around 250lbs/ft and 280hp.

3) plugs
what plugs should i be running for the above power on my jap engine?

4) air filters.
there seems to be a lot of talk of panel filters on the scoobs. are they a better mod for some reason or should i stick with the more normal cone style filter?

5) where to get bits/service
of course i'm after plugs and fuel pump if i want to run more than standard power but i've also heard a lot of talk about remaps of ecu's. where can i get this service from and would the same places be useful for plugs and pumps too?

6) recoomended mods
so far my plan is..
fuel pump, plugs, air filter, fmic and an oil cooler.
are there any other mods that i really should think about if i intend to use the engine hard?
when i say hard i mean spending time at high revs.

thanks for reading, sorry for the very noob questions

L.
Old 10 October 2005, 10:24 PM
STI Craig
Scooby Regular

wow sounds like you need to speek to a mapper

but ill have a go lol

1. well that depends o has the car been serviced, driven hard wen cold, good oil used, has the car got any mods so far if so u run the danger of running it a bit lean and causing det esp on cylinder no. 3 as it tends to have a week fuel mixture compared to the others due to the set up of the fuel rail which causes excessive presure on the big end bearing.

basicly mate these engines have done well over 120000 miles without repair so your guess is as good as anyones

2. type of turbo it is is printed on they side all the turbos will handle 300bhp and all the engines will.

3.iridium is best as its very hard and very little will stick to it

4.cone filers will suck in hot air thats why we fit pannel but if you want a FMIC he air box is in the way so u will have to go for a cone (a inclosed one is best with a cold air feed but cost $ for what it is)

5. andy F is a good option for them as he fits the apexi ecu which is just boss lol

6. u got that sused i think mate cos your keeping all your temps down inc oil which alot of people dont.
but just make sure u have a good map and not a super chip
some of the newer imprezas have quite good ecu's but if you aint got one of them go for a apexi ecu (by far the best for your car)
Old 11 October 2005, 10:44 AM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

The turbo should have a model number stamped on it, you've probably got a TD05 (good turbo) capable of well over 300bhp.

I'd look at using NGK PRF7B plugs, they seem to be well thought of.

Be a good idea to fit an oil temp gauge first before a cooler, just to see if you need it as come service time its a pain to do an oil change with a cooler fitted.

I'd second the Apexi and AndyF.
Old 11 October 2005, 11:26 PM
LDA
Scooby Regular

thanks very much guys!!

L.
Old 12 October 2005, 11:35 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the engine in a Subaru or just from a Subaru
Old 13 October 2005, 02:49 PM
LDA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dyney
Is the engine in a Subaru or just from a Subaru
hehe.. just from one.
long time no chat. how do?

i'm still going with the same idea as before. got a crashed damaged jap spec wrx on a boat and i'm trying to learn all i need to know before it gets here.

i'm not going 4wd anymore tho. its only a rear drive project now for some drifty fun

L.
Old 13 October 2005, 06:26 PM
STI Craig
Scooby Regular

so is the engine going in to a impreza
or something else
Old 13 October 2005, 08:36 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep has been a while

1/ If the engine runs quitely I'd leave them alone.

2/ Turbo will depend on the year and model, but all should cope with your goals.

3/ Most people run NGK PFR6B's on a std car and PFR7B's on a modded engine. I expect you'll need the 7's

4/ The MY99/00 cars have a delicate MAF sensor so Induction kits are not recomended. On the eary cars as long as the filter isn't over oiled then it will be fine. A panel filter is the safe option

5/ Plugs can be had from any motor factors, all the Scooby tuners will be able to supply plugs, fuel pump and pretty much all you'll need. If the engine/ECU is from a MY93-96 you can fit a ScoobyECU chip which will up the boost and adjust the fuel to suit. They can be custom mapped too or you can fit a mappable ECU like an Apexi Power FC. These are about £700 mapped to you car

6/ Fit some guages so you know what the oil is doing then decide if you need a cooler.
run it on decent oil and fuel and don't cut corners on the servicing (the best advice I can give)