Notices

Fluid loss

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2005, 02:49 PM
bgood
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Fluid loss

I have noticed some loss of coolant from what I think is called the header tank (it's the one next to the power steering fluid reservoir) when I have been driving enthusiastically shall we say It's not very much, looks to just be a few spurts and I think it's coming from under the actualy cap, any ideas how I stop it??

I've also noticed some fluid loss from the power steering reservoir, again when I've been driving enthusiastically there seems to be slightly more power steering fluid than coolant, again any ideas how I stop this??

Both problems were more noticeable on Saturday at the WYIOC trackday when the car was being pushed fairly hard but as above it's not masses but am concerned it could be the beginning of something more serious.

All help gratefully received, unless of course it comes in the form of, don't drive enthusiastically

Oh yeah, car is a 93 WRX, so a Jap import.
Old 04 October 2005, 09:47 AM
bgood
Scooby Regular

Anybody?
Old 04 October 2005, 10:56 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

It could be as simple as the seal on the cap is perished or first signs that your head gasket is going. I would keep a close eye on the levels each day before driving for a couple of weeks. If you keep losing fluid then it will need further investigation.

Andy
Old 04 October 2005, 12:32 PM
bgood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
It could be as simple as the seal on the cap is perished or first signs that your head gasket is going. I would keep a close eye on the levels each day before driving for a couple of weeks. If you keep losing fluid then it will need further investigation.

Andy
Well obviously I'm hoping it's just the seal on the cap, the car is 12 years old after all and it appears to be the original. Sure as hell hope it ain't the head gasket, I need the sort of money it would cost to sort that for the big brake upgrade

Will keep an eye on the level as you say though, thx