Notices

Strange kangaroo style problem.

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2005, 07:10 PM
Chad!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Strange kangaroo style problem.

Hey people. I hope someone can give me a clue whats going on with this. Right, to start things off, it's worse when it's cold. When starting from cold, using only a small amount of throttle, it's just like your pressing on the throttle a little more, then off, then back on, then off etc etc. So on and so on. It's not a violent throw you forwards and backwards kinda thing but you can feel it quite a bit. It's a bit like someone applying your brakes a lil bit off and on. It makes my air freshner (Hanging on rear view mirror) swing back and forth anyway. It does this in any gear at pretty much any speed, unless to turbo kicks in. Whilst on boost it seems fine. It's a Classic 1999 btw. I haven't had it long so I'm still learning about it. But any possabilities would be much appreciated. I've been told about the overboosting prob on slightly older models cause of oil over filling etc but understand it to be whilst on high boost, not whilst on virtually none or no boost. Hope this makes sense to you........

Thanks,
Dave.
Old 26 September 2005, 11:31 PM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

I have this on mine, could feel it but didnt know if it was in my head as it was very slight. Put my G-force meter on and it was definatly "pulsing". Talked to Subaru about it and they said it happens alot and was nothing to worry about. They also said its probably to do with the Lambda sensor. My local Subaru dealer is crap though and I wouldnt listen to anything they say.
Old 27 September 2005, 01:04 AM
KEVWRX95
Scooby Regular

Location: West Sussex-Scoob stripped :( Hello Audi A6 4.2V8 Quattro :)
Wink Mmmmmmmmmmm sounds familiar

Chad
Is your car standard or have you any mods mainly an aftermarket ECU?

If you search General Technical you will see my thread over the last couple of weeks...........................................ev entually found out it was the throttle position sensor , and it was rectified by my GEMS ecu being tweaked.

If you have a standard factory ECU then you may have to buy a new one roughly £160 unfortunately.

If your throttle position sensor is faulty it is sending the wrong information to your ecu then your fuelling will be well out, this is connected to the butterfly sat inside your manifold, causing the hesitation and kangerooing.

Hope this helps
Kev.
Old 27 September 2005, 11:50 AM
ivosh
Scooby Regular

Mine does exactly the same thing. The colder the engine the more the effect is pronounced. Probably something to live with...

I plan to exchange the lambda. It normally outputs similarly oscillating signal, so it may be connected with the problem.
Old 27 September 2005, 01:19 PM
Chad!
Scooby Regular

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. The car is standard as far as electrical goes. As far as I'm aware the only mods are a stainless de-cat system and a dump valve, oh and I think a high flow air filter (replacement element type). It is a problem that I could live with but it would be nice to know what it is causing it. I had thought maybe it would be something to do with fueling or air as it's worse when cold but didn't really know where to start. I thought a possible air leak in a pipe somewhere, and with the choke giving it more fuel then more (or an unstable amount of) air than it required would cause it to become stroppy. This train of thought popped into my head because of it being so noticeably worse when cold.