Notices

Help... unknown cut out

Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2005, 01:39 PM
5tuart
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help... unknown cut out

Hope someone can help, or had a similar problem.

My 2000 classic has been cutting out on me with no warning. Just driving along and the engine just stops, no warning, no judder just engine stops and all the dashboard lights come on. I pull to the side of the road try to start it and it just turns over but doesn’t start. Then wait a couple of minutes and its starts.

Any guesses, I though immobiliser, fuel pump…

Worried to drive it in case it happens on the duel carriage way at 70mph or in the middle of a round-a-bout. Real shame the Scooby’s been so reliable.

Thanks
Old 19 September 2005, 02:28 PM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

With regard to alarm/immobiliser UK 2000 models have three separate immobilisation circuits.
The factory fitted transponder immobiliser (operated by a small chip built-into the ignition key housing) immobilises the engine via the engine management unit.
As this standard system didn't meet Thatcham requirements, the Sigma alarm fitted as standard to UK cars from 99MY has a further two cuts that immobilise the starter motor and the fuel pump.
The alarm's fuel cut circuit is fail-safe protected and, as the vehicle cranks, I think it unlikely to be a fault within the alarm unit itself.
A poor connection/wiring problem on the fuel side is still a possibility. Unfortunately for security reasons I cant give you details on locations wiring etc to check.
Depending at what speed you have been travelling when this has occured, you may or may not have noticed if this could be a fuel supply problem. If you think the fault is not with the fuel supply/wiring, then this takes the alarm/immobiliser and it's wiring out of the equation.
The standard transponder immobiliser should also have fail-safe circuitry to prevent this sort of problem.
I'm no expert on Impreza ignition systems and engine management/sensors etc so can't suggest any components that may fail causing such a problem, but a poor connection or earth is a definate possibility for this type of problem.
Sory I cant be of anymore help,
SS
Old 19 September 2005, 03:32 PM
5tuart
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Thats great, give me a starting place anyway. The feeing is like the car has turned the ignition off. Could it be the coil(s) or one of the sensors to the ECU?

Can it think I've turned the ingnition off? Loose wire wet sensor, I've no idea about the set up... anyone else know about them?

Cheers

Last edited by 5tuart; 19 September 2005 at 03:44 PM.
Old 19 September 2005, 04:25 PM
unfeasablylargegonads
Scooby Regular

crank sensor would also be worth a try, I had exact same problems on another car (not scoob) once.