Notices

V.QUICK GENERAL CONNECTOR HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2005, 09:51 PM
MKC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V.QUICK GENERAL CONNECTOR HELP PLEASE

Lambda / O2 Sensor Connector removal (not sensor itself, just the connection between it and the car/loom wire bit to side of heat shield).

I have a MY99 UK Turbo. It is hesitating at low revs and idles badly when warm and stalls. Ive tried a my old MAF and its the same with that. I want to remove my O2 sensor connector to see if the idling improves without it temporarily but cannot quite make out how to pull the two parts of the white connector off of the lead from the sensor apart.
It looks like theres a white flap on the top of the connector on one side, i can just abouts press this in but am worried about pulling them apart and breaking them. Can anyone confirm that you just push the flap and pull or if there is a fancy way of pulling the two parts apart.

Im moving house in 2 days. I only have 9pm until 12am tonight and tomorrow to do this, with a torch in the dark!! I do not want to risk driving the car to my new place (30miles away) and my breakdown cover will not get it there and want to try this at least just incase it indicates the lambda sensor being faulty and il feel better about driving it.

Any descriptions or photos appreciated...thanks.

The current connector is square, white, three wires in to top part and out of bottom part. May or may not be original bit. Looks like thing red lines along two edges in the centre of the connector body (which is a bit weird). 15-20mm accross.50mm high.
Old 12 September 2005, 11:43 PM
version2sti
Scooby Regular

hi with out seeing the plug at the connecter i would say that if there is a small sticking out plastic lever on one side in the middle of the connector that you will just have to press it down had mine apart before was very hard to press down so i used a small screwdriver to do it.done the job!
not sure what you will acheive unplugging it as normaly when the o/2 sensor`s go faulty it would bring up a code as it would have to be really bad to give you the problems you are having
Old 13 September 2005, 08:22 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Do you have a light coming on your dashboard, 3 place to the left of the cel? If you dont then this connector is probably best left connected. Mine is disconnected at the mo as when I connect mine I get this particular light on the dash. (You can see the light by just having your ignition on without turning over the engine). Having mine disconnected doesnt seem to affect the performace.
It is a b!atch to disconnect, there is a part that you press in but access isnt usually that great!

I personally would try a diagnostics whilst it is connected to see if that brings anything up, saves the grazed knuckles!
Old 13 September 2005, 10:52 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

press the button in and push the plug in and then pull and it should come out.

Jay you sound like you are talking about the cat over heat warning on the dash.
What year?

Simon
Old 13 September 2005, 10:57 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
press the button in and push the plug in and then pull and it should come out.

Jay you sound like you are talking about the cat over heat warning on the dash.
What year?

Simon
It is an MY93 (I think, it is actually a 1992 car though)
I have still got the cat installed apparently never checked but it does have an exhaust from the cat back. If this lights up when it is connected, what does that usually mean?
Old 13 September 2005, 11:00 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Due to it running too lean perhaps and heating the cat..

Does it come on when cruising or when going for it?

Simon
Old 13 September 2005, 11:08 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Its just on permanently if I connect it, as soon as I start the engine.
Dont think it is running lean as I have suffered from very poor economy and the amount of soot in the exhaust tells me it is running very rich.
I was thinking about getting a cat replacement pipe anyway and fitting this for a bit of extra bhp. Do you think this is advisable?
Old 13 September 2005, 11:14 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Sounds like you are connecting / disconnecting the cat overheat sensor.

The lambda sensor on your car will be in the headers.. look under the car at the exhaust headers inline with the air filter on the driver side.

Sensor is probably just shot.

Decat downpipe is always worth fitting

Simon
Old 13 September 2005, 11:17 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
Sounds like you are connecting / disconnecting the cat overheat sensor.

The lambda sensor on your car will be in the headers.. look under the car at the exhaust headers inline with the air filter on the driver side.

Sensor is probably just shot.

Decat downpipe is always worth fitting

Simon
Whilst your on Simon and you do a fair amount of the old mapping, I am thinking about getting a power fc. Can I ask a few questions? firstly are these okay, and what sort of costs would you charge to have it mapped?
Old 13 September 2005, 11:18 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

YHPM

Simon
Old 13 September 2005, 12:30 PM
MKC
Scooby Regular

Unhappy Lambda - Any MY99s out there in MK ?

I have no warning light. Im dosconnecting it because several other posts have suggested doing it to identify if the Lambda sensor is faulty. They say that when disconnected the dash warning light will come on and instead of using the lambda readings (voltage etc) it will use some other default value which, although not perfect, should run better than a completely shagged Lambda.

The facts that my ICV seems to be ok (and I cleaned it), that the idling whilst warm problem is the same with two MAFs (one being my old one which had no problem idling), that normal driving and cold start is ok and that it just suddenly started one day would, based on other posts, suggest that it might be the Lambda. I have had the car for 50k miles, 3 years and had two piston melts due to MAF but have never changed the Lambda sensor may also be a good reason to try and change it.

Thanks for your replies. I will give it another go tonight, pushing the flap bit in with a screwdriver, pushing and then pulling the connector. As long as I know its hard to do I'l put some more effort in. I did not want to break it, only to find out that there is some magical way of pulling it apart or unlocking it

I do not have the thing which shows the voltages etc so cannot test it and am moving Thursday so do not have the time to take it to a dealer either at the moment but need to move it to my new place.

If there is anyone out there in Aylesbury (day) or Milton Keynes (eve) who has a MY99/00, loads of spare bitz and fancies having a look for the fun of it then that would be kool...