Notices

CUT OUT PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2005, 11:16 AM
philrob2000
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry CUT OUT PROBLEM

My car keeps cutting out !! I can be driving along as normal then it will just die, then fire up again on it's own, then die again and so on. This can happen any time and it will fire right away from the key without having to reset the imobilisor or turbo timer. Sometimes it will do it at the lights to... It will also, after cutting out, sometimes just fire from the key then cut right out again and do this for as while.. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Do these have a "Crash fuel cut" thing ? I've heard that these can come loose and cause this...
Old 12 September 2005, 12:19 PM
scooby dancer
Scooby Regular

could be lots of things a friend of mine has a 96 classic that use to cut then restart till it died and would not start at all turned out to be wire to fuel pump shorting out under back seat not saying thats what is up with yours but if we had looked at this possibility would not have took so long to sort out i would say it is definety an electical fault loose connection, short ect..
Originally Posted by philrob2000
My car keeps cutting out !! I can be driving along as normal then it will just die, then fire up again on it's own, then die again and so on. This can happen any time and it will fire right away from the key without having to reset the imobilisor or turbo timer. Sometimes it will do it at the lights to... It will also, after cutting out, sometimes just fire from the key then cut right out again and do this for as while.. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Do these have a "Crash fuel cut" thing ? I've heard that these can come loose and cause this...
Old 12 September 2005, 02:54 PM
philrob2000
Scooby Regular

Default CUT OUT PROBLEM

Wiring seems to be ok, how do I get to the fuel pump on these ??

Never mind, found it. lol.

Originally Posted by scooby dancer
could be lots of things a friend of mine has a 96 classic that use to cut then restart till it died and would not start at all turned out to be wire to fuel pump shorting out under back seat not saying thats what is up with yours but if we had looked at this possibility would not have took so long to sort out i would say it is definety an electical fault loose connection, short ect..

Last edited by philrob2000; 12 September 2005 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Found it
Old 12 September 2005, 06:48 PM
philrob2000
Scooby Regular

Default Problem

Forgot to mention. This has been getting steadily worse over the last couple of days. Started of as every now and then but has progressed to almost constant at times. I really need help with this. Had error codes read at Alan Jeffries and there's nothing showing that would do this so no better off...

Wiring seems to be ok, how do I get to the fuel pump on these ??

Never mind, found it. lol.
Old 13 September 2005, 08:51 AM
philrob2000
Scooby Regular

Default Help

TTT

Forgot to mention. This has been getting steadily worse over the last couple of days. Started of as every now and then but has progressed to almost constant at times. I really need help with this. Had error codes read at Alan Jeffries and there's nothing showing that would do this so no better off...
Old 13 September 2005, 11:46 AM
andy.downes
Scooby Regular

Sounds like it could be misfiring. Try looking at the spark plugs (if you can get to them). I had another car that used to get water in the spark plugs during careless washing etc. Because of the scoop, they can get water in if your not careful.
It probably isn't water in there as they are hard to reach, and the position due to the flat four engine will stop water getting near but it might be something to with faulty plugs or leads.

Is it violent when it stops and trys to start again?, does it judder like mad?

Regards
Andy
Old 17 September 2005, 07:08 PM
philrob2000
Scooby Regular

Default Cutting out

It cuts out completely and the car stops ! I replaced the coilpacks and plugs but it hasn't solved this problem...The car has now been running fine for 2 days but I haven't fixed anything so I reckon it will happen again soon. It isn't really like a missfire it more like stalling teh car then bumping it again (if you know what I mean) but sometimes it wont re-start right away...

Originally Posted by andy.downes
Sounds like it could be misfiring. Try looking at the spark plugs (if you can get to them). I had another car that used to get water in the spark plugs during careless washing etc. Because of the scoop, they can get water in if your not careful.
It probably isn't water in there as they are hard to reach, and the position due to the flat four engine will stop water getting near but it might be something to with faulty plugs or leads.

Is it violent when it stops and trys to start again?, does it judder like mad?

Regards
Andy
Old 19 September 2005, 01:54 PM
5tuart
Scooby Regular

My classic MY00 is doing something similar but not very often.

I put a post here before I read yours, any more luck finding the source of the problem?
Old 22 September 2005, 11:11 PM
philrob2000
Scooby Regular

Default Cut Out

Have you modded it at all M8 ? Maybe it's something we both done...
I have it booked in at Star in Plymouth for Monday so I'll let you know if they find anything. It's so intermitent though that I'm not convinced they will.

Originally Posted by 5tuart

I put a post here before I read yours, any more luck finding the source of the problem?
Old 23 September 2005, 04:06 PM
fishous
Scooby Regular

My RA did it wen i first bought it, i spoke to a friend who told me to check the wires and sensor on the induction kit, turned out the tiny bit of wire that is exposed was rusty from being sat on the boat so long, and sure enuf it fine now i reconnected with better wires
Old 26 September 2005, 06:41 PM
philrob2000
Scooby Regular

Default Cut out problem.

Well they couldn't pin mine down yet but said that this is usually caused by either crank sensor or cam sensor. Hope this helps M8. Let me know if you hear anything that might help with mine....

Originally Posted by 5tuart

Old 26 September 2005, 06:48 PM
minted_aye
Scooby Regular

Take it somewere to check for fault codes, I had a power problem on my skyline a while back and it was the cranshaft sensor, there was nothing wrong just had a fault showing in the ecu for some reason, and the guy reset it F.O.C worked fine ever since

Old 26 September 2005, 08:34 PM
philrob2000
Scooby Regular

Default Fault codes

I had them checked at Alan Jeffries and He found nothing that would cause the problem....He said that it might be related to the coilpack problem I had at the time but they are now replaced and fine but the car still keeps cutting out. I reckon he would have reset the ECU at the time, wouldn't he ??
I was told today to take off the boost controller (powertek) and try it for a while to see if it still does it. If so then disconnect the alarm/imobilisor during driving and try that then if it still does it we're changing the ECU to try that. If none of that works I'm stumped !

Originally Posted by minted_aye
Take it somewere to check for fault codes, I had a power problem on my skyline a while back and it was the cranshaft sensor, there was nothing wrong just had a fault showing in the ecu for some reason, and the guy reset it F.O.C worked fine ever since
Old 27 September 2005, 08:17 AM
minted_aye
Scooby Regular

Well thats a fair point, I would say it could be the signal to the coil packs, have you tryed spraying your electrics with wd40 or similar?

I had them checked at Alan Jeffries and He found nothing that would cause the problem....He said that it might be related to the coilpack problem I had at the time but they are now replaced and fine but the car still keeps cutting out. I reckon he would have reset the ECU at the time, wouldn't he ??
I was told today to take off the boost controller (powertek) and try it for a while to see if it still does it. If so then disconnect the alarm/imobilisor during driving and try that then if it still does it we're changing the ECU to try that. If none of that works I'm stumped !
Old 27 September 2005, 08:23 AM
philrob2000
Scooby Regular

Default WD

No didn't think of that M8 but will give it a try. Cheers.

Originally Posted by minted_aye
Well thats a fair point, I would say it could be the signal to the coil packs, have you tryed spraying your electrics with wd40 or similar?