Back into the dealers again !!!

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2005, 11:57 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back into the dealers again !!!

After 3 visits fromm Subaru assistance and being left at the dealers for a day, all in the past week, my 03 wrx is going back in yet again tomorrow for them to try and sort out my immobilser problem again, symptoms are .....When I've been driving it for a while and I turn it off and take the key out ,the oil pressure light /battery light/a couple of other lights on the instrument cluster light up very faintly and stay lit up for a short length of time , whilst they are faintly lit the red key symbol (immobiliser) on the instrument cluster doesn't flash as it should and the car wont start (It will turn over but wont catch). The length of time this lasts for seems to depend on how long I've had the car running for (a longer journey it will take last longer).After a while these lights will fade off and the key symbol will flash again and the car will start fine . Also sometimes the car won't lock with the remotes until it's sorted itself out . As you can guess it's driving me mad and makes filling up with petrol a bit on the tricky side . The dealers solution when it went in earlier in the week was to replace the cars battery , which was obviously not the solution . Has anyone experienced anything like this before ?Or any clues for me so I can try and get the dealers to sort it once and for all

Thanks

Dave
Old 26 August 2005, 10:11 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

have you had it from new if so is it standard or modded and are there any things like tracker on it and what other lights light up?
Old 27 August 2005, 10:48 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy
have you had it from new if so is it standard or modded and are there any things like tracker on it and what other lights light up?
I bought it back in May of this year , so it was just over 2 years old ,only mod is a Prodrive backbox , and it does have a RAC Trackstar fitted, the other lights that light up (but only very faintly) are the battery light and check engine light (all in the same area of the dash )
Old 28 August 2005, 10:52 AM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

i would try another ecu and disconnect the trackstar and go from there
Old 29 August 2005, 01:23 PM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

Originally Posted by IN THE STICKS
After 3 visits fromm Subaru assistance and being left at the dealers for a day, all in the past week, my 03 wrx is going back in yet again tomorrow for them to try and sort out my immobilser problem again, symptoms are .....When I've been driving it for a while and I turn it off and take the key out ,the oil pressure light /battery light/a couple of other lights on the instrument cluster light up very faintly and stay lit up for a short length of time , whilst they are faintly lit the red key symbol (immobiliser) on the instrument cluster doesn't flash as it should and the car wont start (It will turn over but wont catch). The length of time this lasts for seems to depend on how long I've had the car running for (a longer journey it will take last longer).After a while these lights will fade off and the key symbol will flash again and the car will start fine . Also sometimes the car won't lock with the remotes until it's sorted itself out . As you can guess it's driving me mad and makes filling up with petrol a bit on the tricky side . The dealers solution when it went in earlier in the week was to replace the cars battery , which was obviously not the solution . Has anyone experienced anything like this before ?Or any clues for me so I can try and get the dealers to sort it once and for all

Thanks

Dave
Hi Dave, sorry to hear that you've not had this sorted yet.
In my experience, dimly lit warning lights on the dash are usually caused by a poor connection/bad earth somewhere. This could be something as simple as the multiplug on the rear of the instruments not being locked in properly. The instrument pod is matched (coded) to the engine ECU, so could also explain the immobilisation problem if the connection is poor.
SS
Old 30 August 2005, 09:12 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sigma Sam
Hi Dave, sorry to hear that you've not had this sorted yet.
In my experience, dimly lit warning lights on the dash are usually caused by a poor connection/bad earth somewhere. This could be something as simple as the multiplug on the rear of the instruments not being locked in properly. The instrument pod is matched (coded) to the engine ECU, so could also explain the immobilisation problem if the connection is poor.
SS
Thanks for the thoughts Sam I will pass them on to the dealer as they seem stumped by it . It sure does sound like a bad earth , the lights will gradually fade (the length of time this takes seems to equate to how long I've had the ignition on for !).The car was back at the dealers on Saturday and they recoded the keys , this seemed to cure the problem for a couple of days , but the problem is back now (also the Sigma part won't lock now with the fobs until the lights fade and you hear the 'click' from under the dash). Spoken to the dealer today and they are going to speak to an alarm ' expert' (might be you ) and get back to me

Dave

Last edited by IN THE STICKS; 30 August 2005 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05 September 2005, 10:04 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy
i would try another ecu and disconnect the trackstar and go from there
Spot on Scoobyboy turns out that the tracker was playing up in some way and creating some kind of electrical bleed to the immobiliser/alarm , mind you the dealer did change the battery,reprogram the keys , fit a new alarm module then send it to a proper auto electricians in the end for them to find it

Dave
Old 06 September 2005, 09:00 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

cool at least it's sorted now it's rare that they have problems with standard wiring you only get problems when something has been added.