Notices

Which subaru engines don't have an oil cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2005, 04:41 PM
DannyBoyTurbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which subaru engines don't have an oil cooler?

Had a recon engine off API a while back for my UK MY98 turbo and just had to change the water pump gasket due to a leak.

When I had it off I noticed there was no out feed to the oil cooler and sure enough there was no oil cooler at all.

I thought maybe it was just something the uk cars didn't have but since been looking at every uk model I can find and they all have them.

Have I been sold a Legacy lump or something?
Old 23 August 2005, 04:43 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Everyone i have seen has had the standard cooler/warmer in place, AKA the Modene.
Old 23 August 2005, 05:51 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A mate had a similar thing, and he found out it was a Legacy lump, does it have coil packs.... one bolt or two...
Old 23 August 2005, 09:10 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

a lot of the JDM spec cars have these omitted, particuarly Forester turbo and some legacy's........also a lot of the auto type impreza's

personal advice would be to have a chat with API, they seem approachable enough..............

alyn
Old 24 August 2005, 01:44 AM
DannyBoyTurbo
Scooby Regular

I kept my original coil packs along with most of the ancillaies all of which fitted to this block fine.

I'll pop down my local dealer and run the engine number before troubling Dave but assuming its a legacy lump are there any other things that might not be to my advantage as I'm already running about 300 and wish to go quite a bit higher. Are the internals the same?
Old 24 August 2005, 11:24 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Danny,

As Alyn says not all JDM engines have the modene. Ditto the water pump has no external feed for the pipework to the modene. There is nothing sinister about whether it is a Forester or a Legacy or whatever it is just that the modene is not always there. 2002-on Spec C has a PROPER oil cooler and no parts for the modene on the water pump and so on.

Maybe we had and used a WRX RA engine or something when we did your rebuild and just maybe that engine had an external oil cooler etc etc.

No big deal to supply a modene type water pump and the necessary parts if it is bothering you. The car will be better with one, even though the effect they have is marginal.

Let me know if I can help.

Kind regards David APi Engines / APi Impreza
www.apiengines.com
Old 24 August 2005, 10:39 PM
DannyBoyTurbo
Scooby Regular

Thanks for replying Dave, I was not in any way implying there was anything suspect going on. It just confused the hell outta me as I couldn't find an Impreza without one.

I'm not so much worried about the lack of oil cooler although yes I will deffo have to get something sorted. Its the what engine question thats bothering me. If it is a Leggy/forester engine what's the deal? Are they exactly the same internally?

Surely if it were from an engine with an aftermarket external oil cooler the water feed from the pump would still be there (just blocked off) but my pump has nothing.
Old 25 August 2005, 09:25 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer

Danny, The Spec C and RA water pumps are a different casting and don't have the provision for the water pipe outlet at all. It's the only way from the outside to tell the engines apart.

It's a pain to us as we use a number of water pumps 'updating' engines that come from Japan.

Confusingly the Legacy and Forester quite often take the same water pump, although more often there is a little rubber blind hose and clip over the outlet as you suggest.

Kind regards David APi Impreza / APi Engines
www.apiengines.com

PS In principle there is no difference that matters inside the Legacy / Forester short engine. In fact the earlier engines WILL HAVE closed deck block and bore squirters which is a definite plus. What is likely is that we used a block from a CDB type engine and put your heads on to it.

Originally Posted by DannyBoyTurbo
Thanks for replying Dave, I was not in any way implying there was anything suspect going on. It just confused the hell outta me as I couldn't find an Impreza without one.

I'm not so much worried about the lack of oil cooler although yes I will deffo have to get something sorted. Its the what engine question thats bothering me. If it is a Leggy/forester engine what's the deal? Are they exactly the same internally?

Surely if it were from an engine with an aftermarket external oil cooler the water feed from the pump would still be there (just blocked off) but my pump has nothing.

Last edited by APIDavid; 25 August 2005 at 09:55 AM.
Old 25 August 2005, 09:35 AM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by APIDavid
Danny, The Spec C and RA water pumps are a different casting and don't have the provision for the water pipe outlet at all. It's the only way from the outside to tell the engines apart.

It's a pain to us as we use a number of water pumps 'updating' engines that come from Japan.

Confusingly the Legacy and Forester quite often take the same water pump, although more often there is a little rubber blind hose and clip over the outlet as you suggest.

Kind regards David APi Impreza / APi Engines
www.aoiengines.com

PS In principle there is no difference that matters inside the Legacy / Forester engine. In fact the earlier engines WILL HAVE closed deck block and bore squirters which is a definite plus. What is likely is that we used a block from a CDB type engine and put your heads on to it.
Out of interest,what are the differences between the Legacy/Impreza lumps then.

BTW David-your link doesnt work ,youve put it down as aoiengines-not api.

Last edited by easyrider; 25 August 2005 at 09:58 AM.
Old 25 August 2005, 09:45 AM
BANKER
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DannyBoyTurbo
Had a recon engine off API a while back for my UK MY98 turbo and just had to change the water pump gasket due to a leak.

When I had it off I noticed there was no out feed to the oil cooler and sure enough there was no oil cooler at all.

I thought maybe it was just something the uk cars didn't have but since been looking at every uk model I can find and they all have them.

Have I been sold a Legacy lump or something?

I thought that some legacy engines had different internals like tappets and different pumps.
if i paid for an impreza lump i wouldnt want a cheaper legacy engine
Old 25 August 2005, 09:49 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

That's a bit of a long question, and not easy to answer as it changes many times.

For the purposes of here and now, The valve covers on the heads are different; Impreza has a one bolt coil pack and Legacy has 2. Legacy heads are finger type valve rockers instead of direct acting cam and bucket which restricts the revs.

There are a number of differences with pistons over the years relating to compression ratio. Otherwise as I said before, nothing of consequence inside the short engine.

David APi

PS Thanks for the heads up on the link I have corrected my one but your repost needs to be done by you.

Originally Posted by easyrider
Out of interest,what are the differences between the Legacy/Impreza lumps then.
BTW David-you link doesnt work ,youve put it down as aoiengines-not api.
Old 25 August 2005, 09:53 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by BANKER
I thought that some legacy engines had different internals like tappets and different pumps.
if i paid for an impreza lump i wouldnt want a cheaper legacy engine
Quite right too!, Thats why we rebuild 99% of all customers engines that come here so that we return them in the spec that they arrived in.

We rarely sell a used engine as there is no way to guarantee the quality of the internals without a strip and looksee.

Even on a 150,000 mile engine you can still see cross hatching marks on the bores even though you get your fingers down the side of the pistons and remove the rings without taking the pistons off the rods.........

David APi
Old 25 August 2005, 05:41 PM
DannyBoyTurbo
Scooby Regular

Thanks again for the reply Dave. If you remember I destroyed my orignal engine competely - big hole in block - so rebuild wasn't possible and I had to buy a complete re-con engine. You "accidently" sent an engine that hadn't even been looked at, rattled straight away and blew a few weeks later. Then I got this engine all clean and shrink wrapped.

Seeing as I'm soon to be going for big power again can you honestly tell me I have nothing to worry about? Do you think its worth me identifying the exact engine? Can main dealers definitly identify it from the engine number or will they only list uk cars. I don't really want to remove the intercooler only to find out theycan't id it.
Old 25 August 2005, 08:45 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Danny yhpm
Old 29 August 2005, 08:03 PM
Ken Ross
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by APIDavid
For the purposes of here and now, The valve covers on the heads are different; Impreza has a one bolt coil pack and Legacy has 2. Legacy heads are finger type valve rockers instead of direct acting cam and bucket which restricts the revs.
Strangely my STI II Engine seems to have a 2 bolt coil pack. And there are no locating dowels for the inlet manifold gasket.

Do you keep records of the engine spec's you send out Dave ?

My engine has a number witten on the cambelt covers, and was meant to come from API. (Well thats what I paid for)
Old 30 August 2005, 05:19 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

You'll need to give me more details to be able to track it down for you.

Who did you buy it from OR who bought it for you and for how much?. Give me some dates and invoice number if you can please.

We don't write engine numbers on cam belt housings but sometimes the Japanese do.

Kind regards David APi Engines / APi Impreza