Notices

Do you have scoobecu???

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2005, 10:00 AM
Ritch96
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you have scoobecu???

or similar? If so I'm interested in how long you've had it fitted (mileage) and if you have had any reliability issues. What supporting mods you may have made and what boost you are running on what engine.....

feel free to Pm if you prefer.....

reason... I want to get an unbiased view of the reliability implications before I fit one as I need my car on a daily driver basis. Think it could help others make a more informed decision in the future too.

Many thanks.
Ritchie.
Old 13 August 2005, 12:02 PM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

hi mate

i had my z4 ecu fitted with a scoobyecu from s.taylor (no longer does them afaik) its was a 15.5psi map.
The car runs on optimax alone without the need of booster. The car has always ran fantastic with it and the power gains have been fantastic for the money. I had it fited about 2 years ago or just under when they were far far far cheaper cant say how much many may cry, but by far the best mod for the old girl.
i also run full decat and induction. works great.
Had it on for about 10K miles too.
I fitted a fmic from harvey but the knock link is showing a bit of det, will need to save for apexi power fc to have it tuned and running to perfection as the scooby ecu is not mapped for this sort of mod that i have added.

hope that helps

oh and i dont know whether to part with my z4 ecu or not when i get an apexi power fc as it could be worth keeping hold of it as spare as they are like gold dust (unless i get a really good offer i may consider )

tim
Old 13 August 2005, 12:36 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Scott does still do them. Seems to average about one every couple of weeks on ebay Think there is one at the moment or might have just ended. A nice little earner me thinks
Old 13 August 2005, 07:23 PM
Ritch96
Scooby Regular

I have the chip It's just that I haven't got round to fitting it yet. The car is used through the week by the missus - couple of mile commute and I use hers for my mega commute!

The one I have is mapped to 16.5 psi. I paid £150 which I believe is a more realistic going rate than some have been paying. I am in two minds though whether to fit it or flog it! My UK turbo has approaching 95k on the clock and of course only makes 14psi peak and 12psi hold at the mo. Upping the boost by 35 to 40% at this stage in the old girls life might prove costly.

On the other hand I am tempted to throw caution to the wind and see what happens. I was hoping to get a feel for whether people have fitted these and had any reliability issues. Anyone with experience of these on previously owned cars welcome to comment too.

I am aware that any power increase and modification can affect long term reliability but these chips have been around yonks and yonks so there should be people with real first hand experience.

Ritchie.
Old 13 August 2005, 08:51 PM
mag6/4
Scooby Regular

hi mate
got one of these on my 94 uk with 112,000 on clock just fitted it a few months back
no problems with it at all just lots of big cheesey grins all the time just get the chip fitted. full de-cat pipercross cone filter at a guss my car is running about 250/260 bhp
it feels a lot better on the road than my mates 97 wrx pulls a lot harder on full boost up to 17.5 psi on a good day (when cooler) around 16-16.5 psi when hot hope this helps

chris
Old 14 August 2005, 11:09 AM
Ritch96
Scooby Regular

All sounding fairly positive so far, anybody have experience of one fitted long term?

Ritchie.
Old 14 August 2005, 11:40 AM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

I had a scoobyecu fitted for about 18mths in MY96 UK Wagon which was custom mapped by moi was running 320hp & 304lb/ft about 6mths ago but now has an Apexi FC

Cheers

Trending Topics

Old 14 August 2005, 02:07 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been fitting them since 2001 and not had any issues to my knowledge. I've certainly not had any returns or negative comments.

I ran one in my own car for 2 years, before selling the car on and upgrading to an MY00.
Old 14 August 2005, 03:09 PM
scooby_mad
Scooby Regular

I'm looking to get a scoobyecu soon to. Heard there good for 30 - 40bhp. I've got a 95 uk turbo.. How much boost can the standard turbo handle? its running about 12 psi just now, should you be changing anything else before upping it a few psi? got a blitz nur spec and getting a downpipe in the next couple of weeks. If you buy a boost controller like an apexi is it still worth while having both (apexi an ecu) or does a boost controller handle everything ok alone?

Cheers
D.
Old 18 August 2005, 12:58 AM
julian N/W wrx my93
Scooby Regular

i got one 3rd hand now (as everyone moves up) and mine did 308 bhp, thats with a full decat and boost contoller as well mind you.

so they are good!
Old 18 August 2005, 01:01 AM
julian N/W wrx my93
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ritch96
I have the chip It's just that I haven't got round to fitting it yet. The car is used through the week by the missus - couple of mile commute and I use hers for my mega commute!

The one I have is mapped to 16.5 psi. I paid £150 which I believe is a more realistic going rate than some have been paying. I am in two minds though whether to fit it or flog it! My UK turbo has approaching 95k on the clock and of course only makes 14psi peak and 12psi hold at the mo. Upping the boost by 35 to 40% at this stage in the old girls life might prove costly.

On the other hand I am tempted to throw caution to the wind and see what happens. I was hoping to get a feel for whether people have fitted these and had any reliability issues. Anyone with experience of these on previously owned cars welcome to comment too.

I am aware that any power increase and modification can affect long term reliability but these chips have been around yonks and yonks so there should be people with real first hand experience.

Ritchie.
thats nowt that is!!!!
mines done 135000miles and still going strong!!!!
and on a K 93 as well!
Old 18 August 2005, 09:49 AM
Ritch96
Scooby Regular

There seems to be no negative experiences of this so I reckon it's gonna be done. Tempted by the idea of the switch on j1 so as the doris can use it all week as is and then I can have my weekend fun! What sort of time does it take for the map to learn when first fitted? Someone said you have to take it easy at first while the chip learns?

Ritchie
Old 18 August 2005, 09:59 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

I had one of the first 16.5 psi maps from Pavlo many moons ago. It was fitted to a MY95WRX with the Z4 ECU. The car is now sold as is the ScoobyECU, but I ran it for a couple of years including RR days, track days etc.

With a full 3" decat and MY99 TMIC the car overboosted a bit (fuel cut at 17.2 psi IIRC) so I trimmed it back with a Dawes MBC to just under 17psi.

This gave 227 ATW at a RR day, which was equal to and slightly better than the 3 UK STI PPP's that ran on the day.

Never had a problem, although it'll expose faulty coil packs than otherwise run fine on OE boost.

You won't like how much I paid for the ScoobyECU back then, included a spare set of chips set to 16.2 psi too
Old 18 August 2005, 08:55 PM
minesgreen
Scooby Regular

I've got one for sale £175. Mike