Notices

Help needed, please. Big flat-spot at 5k rpm.

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2005, 10:16 AM
Pootle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help needed, please. Big flat-spot at 5k rpm.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what might be causing this, I'd be very grateful to hear from you.

I have a fully standard MY01 running on Optimax. Generally runs fine, but at 5k rpm there is a big flat-spot that lasts through to about 6,250 rpm, when everything seems to come back on song and we're off like a scalded cat again.

Only on the third tank of Opti, and switching to that seems to have helped some. Am also changing to a JR panel filter to help the breathing, which I hope will also help, but I don't want to start spending money on exhausts etc. if there's something fundamental that should be sorted out first.

As it's otherwise running well, a faulty MAF comes to mind. What's the damage for replacing one and is there any way it could be tested without incurring the same cost that it would be just to go ahead and buy a new one..?

All suggestions gratefully received!
Old 28 July 2005, 12:29 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Try resetting the ECU as the flatspot is probably due to learnt ignition correction following a bad episode of det.

Changing the airfilter will give approximately 0 bhp improvement as it's just about the least restrictive part of the induction system if the filter is in good condition.

Mike
Old 28 July 2005, 01:25 PM
Pootle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeWood
Try resetting the ECU as the flatspot is probably due to learnt ignition correction following a bad episode of det.

Changing the airfilter will give approximately 0 bhp improvement as it's just about the least restrictive part of the induction system if the filter is in good condition.

Mike
Thanks.

Presume that the ECU resetting procedure is the same for New Age as for Classics?

Don't know if the new filter will make a real difference, but I'll think that it has and, as it supposedly lasts a lifetime, it's an economic swap
Old 28 July 2005, 02:37 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Resetting the ECU if you haven't got the right tools just needs the battery to be disconnected for an hour or so. The only problem is that it loses all your radio presets....

Mike
Old 28 July 2005, 02:50 PM
Pootle
Scooby Regular

Resetting the ECU if you haven't got the right tools just needs the battery to be disconnected for an hour or so.
That's about the level of electrickery that I can cope with! Any alarm/immobiliser issues? Do I need to have the PIN ready for when I reconnect?

The only problem is that it loses all your radio presets....
You mean I'll have to borrow a teenager to re-programme the wireless for me..?!