Impreza Turbo engine ticking

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2005, 08:49 PM
hybridturbo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impreza Turbo engine ticking

Hello,

A friend of mine has a 1994 Subaru Impreza turbo (UK model) that is making an obvious but not extremely loud ticking noise. The car has done over 100K but still runs ok and has plenty of power. The acceleration is still fine and it makes power all the way through the rev range.

Concerned about the noise, the car was taken to the local garage where the mechanic told my mate the big ends were gone. I have had the misfortune to have the big ends go in my Subaru and the noise was in no way faint. There was no power and certainly no acceleration.

Does anybody have any opinions on what the noise can be? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Charles.
Old 27 July 2005, 11:27 PM
tath
Scooby Regular

ticking is generally a top end noise, or on a subaru, side-end noise lol. damaged/collapsed/stuck lifter perhaps?
Old 28 July 2005, 01:01 PM
XTM
Scooby Regular

I have a MY95 import,that has a ticking sounds as you describe coming from both sides of the engine but more towards the top .try using a large screwdriver like a stethescope and put your ear on the handle while putting the tip on various parts of the engine ,i did this and it seems the ticking is coming from the injectors.Ive had loads of fuel injected cars in the past old and new and there is always a ticking coming from the injectors.If it runs ok (like mine) does not smoke (like mine ) dont be over concerned.Try holding the revs at around 2000 rpm this is where you will normally get a nasty knocking if the big ends have gone.

HTH

Mark
Old 28 July 2005, 01:07 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by hybridturbo
Hello,

A friend of mine has a 1994 Subaru Impreza turbo (UK model) that is making an obvious but not extremely loud ticking noise. The car has done over 100K but still runs ok and has plenty of power. The acceleration is still fine and it makes power all the way through the rev range.

Concerned about the noise, the car was taken to the local garage where the mechanic told my mate the big ends were gone. I have had the misfortune to have the big ends go in my Subaru and the noise was in no way faint. There was no power and certainly no acceleration.

Does anybody have any opinions on what the noise can be? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Charles.
My advice would be don't go back to that garage!! Ticking could just be the boost solenoid or the injectors doing their job albeit with a bit of a din. Big end failure would be a very noticable knocking sound that would be particularly obvious at 2k rpm as the poster above said.

NS04
Old 28 July 2005, 02:05 PM
morpheous
Scooby Regular

Agree with xtm Injectors,mines the same,theres plenty of guys from up your way on here get a second opinion from a pro they maybe near to you..
Originally Posted by hybridturbo
Hello,

Cheers,
Charles.