Notices

WHAT IS 99 RON ??

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2005, 04:04 PM
chucky egg
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHAT IS 99 RON ??

Greetings! A Scooby Newbie here, and a woman at that. So could someone fill me in on what this is?? I've sussed that only a few petrol stations supply it but what are the pros / cons of using it?! onder2:
Old 10 July 2005, 04:20 PM
DaveC1
Scooby Regular

If you can get it use it. I take it ur talking about the tesco stuff. Wish I could find some in stoke on trent
Old 10 July 2005, 04:49 PM
C 8HEP
Scooby Regular

tesco 99ron has been out month or so and is limited to 12 fuel stations throughout the uk. it should only be used on jap imports and use little booster than if you used optimax 98 ron and more booster to reach 100ron which is japanese fuel. it is also cheaper than optimax!!

Participating Stores

Bedford 1
Cheshunt Extra
Crawley Hazelwick
Gallions Reach Extra
Gillingham
Lakeside

Ramsgate Manston
Salisbury 2
Sandhurst
Sevenoaks Riverhead
Stevenage
Winchester

Last edited by C 8HEP; 10 July 2005 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10 July 2005, 10:15 PM
smiff99
Scooby Regular

I'm suprised there hasn't been more posts about this.

My STI V5 was mapped by BR to run on Optimax however I've recently fitted an APS TMIC which caused the KL to light up a little more than it did before fitting.

I tried a tank of the Tesco 99 RON this week to compare it.

The KL once again just flashed up the greens with no more yellows, even when giving it WOT !

I've also just vented the breathers to atmosphere which has helped even further.

Still have a remap booked in early Aug as I've yet to fit some headers.

Just wondering whether to have it mapped for the 99 RON now instead of the Optimax.

Jon.
Old 10 July 2005, 11:21 PM
C 8HEP
Scooby Regular

its a dillema. 99ron is cheaper than optimax and obviously purer fuel. if you have an import then if its mapped for 100 ron and it will be quicker than a scooby using 98ron. depends how much you want to spend. race fuel is 103 ron +. unleaded is 97ron. better fuel faster u go more expensive it is

as far as other cars go i know lots of people who put optimax in there car instead of unleaded for that extra boost. wether it actually make the car quicker nobody knows as the ecu may just not adapt but on the other hand it might. its only 1% anyway. uk scoobs run on unleaded but people put in optimax now tesco 99 is cheaper but it wont do the car any good. i cant see how the ecu will go,oh great better fuel lets work better and more efficient. its just not what it wants. i have asked someone if the ecu would read the extra ron and make the car quicker and they said yes. i guess the only real way ul ever find out is to ask a professional.

personally map to 100ron or use 97 and stick with it not optimax.it is cheaper still and if its just been mapped it wont want optimax anyway. all fuel companys are competing with eachother and soon another company is bringing out 99-100ron fuel (so i heard)

Last edited by C 8HEP; 10 July 2005 at 11:24 PM.
Old 11 July 2005, 11:01 AM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by C 8HEP
uk scoobs run on unleaded but people put in optimax now tesco 99 is cheaper but it wont do the car any good. i cant see how the ecu will go,oh great better fuel lets work better and more efficient. its just not what it wants. i have asked someone if the ecu would read the extra ron and make the car quicker and they said yes. i guess the only real way ul ever find out is to ask a professional.
But will it do a uk car any harm?
Old 11 July 2005, 11:13 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Nick_Cat
No it won't do the car any harm but you also won't get the benefit of using it, the ecu will adapt to lower octane fuel but not to higher octane fuel AFAIK.

I use 100ron over here mainly due to not having much choice and the car seems quieter but that is about it, I could get the car mapped so it would get the benefit but then I would be screwed if I came to the UK as you have crap petrol.
Old 11 July 2005, 11:21 AM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Cheers - and if I reset the ecu will I get any benefit? I work near the Winchester Tesco.
Old 11 July 2005, 11:26 AM
C 8HEP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nick_Cat
it might do i some harm it might not. some ecu's adapt and some dont. i know a uk car that splutters because he put higher fuel in it. its a bit of a grey area. if you dont disconnect batt to reset ecu it will learn the new fuel in about few hours of driving

How to re-set your ECU unit.
ECU clear memory procedure is as follows for auto and manual transmissions:

With engine at operating temperature, turn engine off. Place gear shift lever into park (auto transmission cars only)

Locate the two ECU check connectors, for most cars they are located under the steering column and consist of a black plastic male and female connector, and a green male female connector. The exact location of the connectors varies with the different year models, but generally they are located under the steering column on the drivers side.
NOTE: sometimes they are still taped over with some small amount of plastic tape, so look hard, they will be there!
With the ignition OFF connect black to black and green to green.

Turn on ignition, do not start the engine, (and for auto transmission, cycle the gearshift lever from park to neutral and back to park ), depress the accelerator pedal to full throttle and hold for a few seconds, and then release.
Start engine and then drive for at least one minute, keeping road speed above 11 Km/h.

ECU is now re-set.

At this point the check engine light should start to flash the all clear signal (steady 1/2 second interval flashes). If the check engine light does not flash, or indicates some other sequence, there is a fault present in the system, and should be professionally checked for necessary repairs.

Once, stop the car and turn off the engine.

Disconnect the plugs.

Job complete