Notices

Best hour spent on the car to date!

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2005, 11:59 PM
jonjeffryes
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Best hour spent on the car to date!

Well, a real result today.

I've always thought that my fuel consumption was poor on my recently purchased WRX classic....I averaged between 16 - 18 untill I replaced the (blowing) headgaskets. The immediate improvement to c. 21 mpg was welcome, but still dissapointing.

I should point out that my driving style is varied between full throttle blasts (just to make sure it all works) through motorway cruising to a daily six mile urban commute.

Getting back to today, I bought a K&N filter cleaning kit from my local Halfords. Now the filter looked pretty clean, but I was astonished how filthy it was. An hour invested in washing, drying and re-oiling (yes, I did make sure I used the minimum amount and cleared all residue from the inside of the filter) has transformed the cars economy.

I've been out for a good long drive over a route that would normally use 1/2 tank fuel....but this time I've only used just over a 1/4 tank! Proof will be after a couple of tank fulls have been assessed...but it's looking good. At the same time the car is much more responsive to the throttle and quieter...all linked I suspect..

Best result I've ever had for such a small effort!

Jon Jeffryes
1995 WRX Classic import