Notices

So what's the deal with insurance??

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2005, 08:45 PM
Kevadair
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So what's the deal with insurance??

Ok, it's pretty obvious that people upgrade their beloved scoobies (and rightly so) but what about that small detail of insurance? Does everyone tell each detail to the insurance companies. What a nitemare time I had of insureing a wrx ppp, that was with 9 years NCD and being 30 years old. Half of companies quote stupid money to insure a standard wrx and then run a mile for even a manufacturers upgarde such as the 'ppp' (never mind things like different turbos and fuel injectors) So is there a lot of people not tellin the whole truth which means ure up sh*t creak if you crash or is there something I'm missing?
Old 25 June 2005, 09:02 PM
scoobywentbang
Scooby Regular

Location: in an engine bay, filling station or gym in Peterborough

It's called empathy and rapport, mate.

Phone Norwich Union. You will almost certainly get through to their call centres in New Delhi or Bangalore (if it's the Liverpool one hang up and try again cos the following won;t work....)

Ask the guy what the weather's like, if he drives a car, that kinda thing. Chat for one minute. Treat him like you've got all the time in the world for him.

Get your quote. Wince silently, then ask him if there's anything he can do about it, only it's a little high and maybe they made a mistake. You'd like to take insurance with them, afterall your nan insured her hamster through them once.... Now, how's the weather again? Isn't working in a call centre a tough job, so much to know.....

Listen while he puts the phone on his desk, talks to the underwriters (who are far more accessible than they are in the UK), and, with luck, he'll tell you he's been authorised to offer you a percentage discount (basically, it's cos you've come across as a nice guy and treated him like a human being and he, in turn, has already repaid you by telling the underwriter you're ok, you're not a ***, this seems like a good guy to insure, etc, etc).

Many will reckon this doesn't work but, believe me, I got a load of declared mods through and almost 200 quid reduced off the premium by knowing how to speak to people.
Old 25 June 2005, 09:15 PM
Kevadair
Scooby Regular

Sweet mate, but most of us are a bit hacked off when they quote us £1k plus for insurance and you feel like a robot with the old 'whats you postcode, dob, married/single, any accidents etc' so what mods have you done and how much extra. The reason I ask is I've just got my wrx ppp and 2 weeks in I'm want more grunt (especially from lower revs as the car aint too good under 3000 revs).
Old 26 June 2005, 11:26 AM
scoobywentbang
Scooby Regular

Location: in an engine bay, filling station or gym in Peterborough

I paid, I think, 797 quid fully comprehensive for a 99 STI Jap import with declared: type r motor, blow-off valve, de-cat exhaust, alloy wheels, 1000 quid extra gauges, knocklink, remapped ignition, upped turbo boost pressure, aftermarket oil cooler, sony ice, 320bhp, 297lb.ft, age 36, sp30 with 4 points 350 quid fine, company director. Thatcham cat 1 required, they didn't care if it had a tracker or not.
Old 26 June 2005, 10:33 PM
VAL113R
Scooby Regular

I am paying £825 through A-Plan

car is a 93 wrx with exhaust, induction kit, FMIC, remapped ECU, 4 pots, 17" alloys, face lift front end (bonnet, lights, grille etc) and sti V high level spoiler.

I am 26, company director, clean licence and 4 years ncd
Old 27 June 2005, 05:15 AM
NM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just renewed my insurance with Liverpool victoria for 2nd yr. Paid £464 full no claims no convictions and 35yrs old with all mods declared

Car is UK MY98 now running 311BHP 290LBF, mods include upgraded wheels, brakes, turbo, injectors, clutch, flywheel, induction kit and body mods etc etc.

Speak to the right person if its not going any where hang up and try again speaking to someone who knows about modified cars. I think they have just bumped up the price for imported and cars reaching ins grp 20. Oh yeah you must be 30yrs old duffer or above.