Notices

Serious 'Judder' When Pulling Off

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2005, 07:32 PM
Kevadair
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Serious 'Judder' When Pulling Off

Got a bit of a problem thats doing my head in and wonderin if anyone might know what it is (the car dealer thinks I'm talking a load of rubbish). Problem, start the care fine but when you pull away the engine judders like mad . Its like if you don't give a car enough revs and the engine stalls but is seems 3 times as violent. Thought it was me at first so have given the revs a bit more when pulling away but no difference. It does this for about the first half hour on starting/stopping, after car has been run for 30 mins plus everythings fine. Initial thoughts were the clutch but not sure as it seems to sort itself after half an hour.(its a 2001 wrx prodrive, 50k on clock)
Old 25 June 2005, 07:39 PM
WRXtra power
Scooby Regular

Same thing happening on my WRX classic, only for first couple of min's of driving though and only on a cold day. I thought clutch also but as you say it sorts itself out. I hope it's something simple to put right. Car drives fine for the rest of the day, no faults what so ever! I'm stumped
Old 25 June 2005, 07:42 PM
scoobywentbang
Scooby Regular

Location: in an engine bay, filling station or gym in Peterborough

My sti 5 import does it too, though not as violently as you describe.

Lifting the clutch plates by pressing the pedal in for 30 seconds before pulling away in the morning clears it.

Does it judder on the downchange too? Can you feel it pulsing through your clutch foot?
Old 25 June 2005, 07:47 PM
speedy1
Scooby Regular

It is the clutch. Does it on my classic, just got to feather the revs/clutch ie more revs - its normal, specially on a classic.
Old 25 June 2005, 07:50 PM
Kevadair
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobywentbang
My sti 5 import does it too, though not as violently as you describe.

Lifting the clutch plates by pressing the pedal in for 30 seconds before pulling away in the morning clears it.

Does it judder on the downchange too? Can you feel it pulsing through your clutch foot?
Glad to see I'm not alone. No judder on downchange its only when pulling away. Allways start engine with clutch down but it doesnt seem to make a differnce. No pulsing through the clutch either just the whole engine shakes!!
Old 25 June 2005, 07:55 PM
Kevadair
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedy1
It is the clutch. Does it on my classic, just got to feather the revs/clutch ie more revs - its normal, specially on a classic.
Cheers for clarification, I have noticed that their 'grizzly bears' before the engine is warmed up. The cars still under dealer warranty so is it worth pushing for a new clutch ie. will it resolve the problem or is it just a feature of the car that I need to live with and get used to?
Old 26 June 2005, 11:04 AM
Sideways, the way forward
Scooby Regular

Both my imprezas have done this. My 95 plate series mcrae used to judder loads when pulling away. My P1 also does it. It is a common scooby characteristic. It is the relationship between the fly wheel and the clutch. When they meet, they don't connect properly cos little indentations are made over time and they don' t meet flat together as they should for a smooth transmission. to temporarily cure this, all you need to do is shave your clutch... not a nice thing to have to do but it works for a while. Just give it loads of revs from standstill (when the car's warm obvioulsy) then dump the clutch. The car should leap forward straight onto the turbo. A lovely clutch smell should filter through the cabin depending on how much you slip it, don't worry though, just so long as you dont do it everyday then it'll be ok.

Trending Topics

Old 26 June 2005, 01:02 PM
p1prodrive
Scooby Regular

echo the above
Old 26 June 2005, 07:01 PM
Kevadair
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the advice, will give it a shot
Old 29 June 2005, 02:33 PM
ClassicScoobyJay
Scooby Regular

Subaru fixed this issue on my MY99 UK Turbo by replacing the clutch and flywheel under warranty. I believe the new flywheel is a slightly different design.
Old 29 June 2005, 05:52 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Recently had my flywheel changed by API and it's certainly better.

Just needs a few more revs as it's been lightened !

Rob
Old 29 June 2005, 07:39 PM
tershman
Scooby Regular

My mates Terzo was doing the same so he put it in to get the clutch changed and it turned out the clutch was fine it was a warped flywheel.

Stevie
Old 29 June 2005, 07:50 PM
wolfie28
Scooby Regular

Hello m8, had the same problem with my 52 plate WRX. I really hassled the dealer where I bought it and they finally fixed the problem under the warranty. I've had no problems since. All the best, Wolfie.
Old 29 June 2005, 07:52 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Taking the car for a thrash will cure all your symptoms...
Old 29 June 2005, 08:02 PM
Dr Bug Eye
Scooby Newbie

I am on my 3rd Impreza - I had 2 classic Sports (an S-reg and a 51-reg) and they both had a bad clutch judder which set in at the same low mileage of approximately 15,000 miles. Subaru were fantastic and they replaced the clutch and flywheel on both cars totally free of charge and I was told that I had been 'very unlucky' . In both cases the feeble flywheel fitted to the classic Sport was found to have 'hot spots' and it replaced with the sturdier new age version and all was fine...
I now have a 2002 WRX with 21,000 miles which occasionally judders when pulling away changing 1st to 2nd for the first mile or so. I find it is worst when it has been a cold night but I have learned to live with it until it gets much worse (then I will spend megabucks to change clutch/flywheel).
Maybe I should have the clutch fluid upgraded as the 3 year service is being done next month at SccobyClinic in Derbyshire....? Not sure if that will make any worthwhile difference....