Notices

What gearbox for up to 450bhp

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2005, 05:58 PM
98prodrivewrs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What gearbox for up to 450bhp

Hi planning to get my car up to 450 bhp. What gearbox would be up to the job?
Any ideas on prices and fitting would be helpfull. As well as any changes in order to fit. My car is a uk 98
Thanks Mark
Old 08 June 2005, 07:19 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

6 speed gear box should do you, mine worked out about £2k fitted
Old 08 June 2005, 10:32 PM
98prodrivewrs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
Thanks. Was that a new box of used. Whats the scoob like with a 6 speed, whats the gearing like? Whats the performance in each gear? (speed etc) Who did you get it from, whats the make. A lot of questions quite new to performance tuning.
Old 08 June 2005, 10:56 PM
Foxmod
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 98prodrivewrs
Thanks. Was that a new box of used. Whats the scoob like with a 6 speed, whats the gearing like? Whats the performance in each gear? (speed etc) Who did you get it from, whats the make. A lot of questions quite new to performance tuning.
Hi mate,

6 Speed is fitted to the New Age STi's, see the subaru web site for the figures. I've been told it's £6K new

Dave
Old 08 June 2005, 11:29 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

you can get them supplied and fitted for about 3-3.5k from roger clark motorsport
i believe
Old 09 June 2005, 07:17 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

i bought the box from a subaru breakers and it was fitted by a local garage. if your planning on fitting one you need more than just the gear box. i preferred my old RA gearbox that i blew up to the 6 speed but its tough acceleration is ok but not as good as my 5 speed IMO
Old 09 June 2005, 05:22 PM
98prodrivewrs
Scooby Regular

Any other gearboxes good for 450. Or can you buy stronger parts and rebuild it. What whould be the best idea
Old 09 June 2005, 06:09 PM
RoRu
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You say that your quite new to tuning cars, do you understand the amount of time and money your gonna need to get upto that sort of power?
It might be a better idea asking question about pistons, rods, cranks, turbos, fuel systems etc before you worry about the gearbox.
Old 09 June 2005, 06:36 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

do you understand the amount of time and money your gonna need to get upto that sort of power
tell me about it, i wont add my costs up anymore
Old 09 June 2005, 08:10 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

if your brave then you can try your luck with an sti5/6 box, you'll need the corresponding diff with it as well.
if your reasonably mechanically sympathetic then its been proven to take 500+ bhp.
if your not so brave, or you try it and trash the gearset, then you can opt for a ppg at about £2k + your own fifth gear, they also have a dog option for the deaf and heavy footed among us
Old 09 June 2005, 08:40 PM
98prodrivewrs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RoRu
You say that your quite new to tuning cars, do you understand the amount of time and money your gonna need to get upto that sort of power?
It might be a better idea asking question about pistons, rods, cranks, turbos, fuel systems etc before you worry about the gearbox.

Yea had the car just over 2 years. Uk with full prodrive wr sport upgrade. As well as that i have uprated fuel pump,fcd,fmic,induction kit, de-cat,up pipe, greddy eo1 boost controler,greddy e-manage and uprated leads and spark plugs. Currently awaiting bigger turbo, injectors,headers and uprated clutch. So looking for gearbox might as well do it all at the same time.

Herd that if the car is well set up you can run about 400 of standard internals. So will keep cash aside for if or when it blows.
Old 09 June 2005, 08:43 PM
98prodrivewrs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peanuts
if your brave then you can try your luck with an sti5/6 box, you'll need the corresponding diff with it as well.
if your reasonably mechanically sympathetic then its been proven to take 500+ bhp.
if your not so brave, or you try it and trash the gearset, then you can opt for a ppg at about £2k + your own fifth gear, they also have a dog option for the deaf and heavy footed among us
Do you know rougthly how much a sti5/6 gearbox and diff would cost including fitting

Thanks for all your replies
(all relevant info welcome)
Old 09 June 2005, 08:51 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

i trashed one of those before i put my six speed in
Old 09 June 2005, 09:01 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I broke 2 uk boxes and 1 wrx box , then put a 6 speed in and no probs >> except if you are going to race >> drag your car , your better keeping a good 5 speed, I think Harvey had >> or has ??? a sti box in his very high bhp wagon, Others are going for the 5 speed box rebuild >> Loads off money, >> To add my classic was about 360 380 bhp >> ishh , anyway good luck with yours , Alan.
Old 09 June 2005, 09:16 PM
98prodrivewrs
Scooby Regular

Hi alanbell how much would the sti box and diffs cost any ideas. Will be looking to do some quarter miles. Could the 6 speed cope with much 1/4 mile runs?

Originally Posted by alanbell
I broke 2 uk boxes and 1 wrx box , then put a 6 speed in and no probs >> except if you are going to race >> drag your car , your better keeping a good 5 speed, I think Harvey had >> or has ??? a sti box in his very high bhp wagon, Others are going for the 5 speed box rebuild >> Loads off money, >> To add my classic was about 360 380 bhp >> ishh , anyway good luck with yours , Alan.
Old 09 June 2005, 09:17 PM
98prodrivewrs
Scooby Regular

Who supplied your box?

Originally Posted by stevebt
Old 09 June 2005, 09:29 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

6 speed will cope very well , >> Dont think anyone has broken one yet !! But 6 speed slower on drag strip >> You need to use more gears ?? been there done that, If you want to spend LOADS of £££££ get yor box uprated, sti 5/6 with diff about (isshhh) £500 to £600 << isshh, If you can find one, cheers,
Old 09 June 2005, 09:52 PM
98prodrivewrs
Scooby Regular

Cheers

6 speed will cope very well , >> Dont think anyone has broken one yet !! But 6 speed slower on drag strip >> You need to use more gears ?? been there done that, If you want to spend LOADS of £££££ get yor box uprated, sti 5/6 with diff about (isshhh) £500 to £600 << isshh, If you can find one, cheers,
Old 09 June 2005, 10:04 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

If you are trying to run 400 BHP on your 2.0 then I would go for a good 5 speed STi 5/6 box, change the rear diff to keep the short gearing. The torque will be modest on the 2.0 which will protect the gearbox to some degree.

Sounds like you have the right list of stuff re the power. Pulling it all together with the right turbo and the right map are the key things to get right. You'll need the ignition harness for the E-manage if you haven't already.
Old 10 June 2005, 07:22 AM
Scooby Regular

Two things:

My 407/340 Sti v3 is on it's original trans and has endured some very hard drag starts over a 3 year period at 314 bhp/280 torque and this year the 407/340 level all on very sticky Kumho V70's. The tyre grip must not be ignored here IMHO as the grippy tyres resist spinning so much more when dumping the clutch.
If you can ease the shock to the trans so much the better (hence using an organic clutch?)
API will sell you/fit for you a late V5/6 trans or a range of 6 speeders.
A friend of mine who races a Legacy bought the whole 6 speeder 'kit' from a breakers for £1400 delivered to his door on a pallet.
Solid 5 speeders are about 3K with ppg kits (find Zen Performance)
I think V6 trans are about £600 without dccd.

All above plus fitting.
Remember a 6 speeder can have the larger clutch too.

Graham.
Old 10 June 2005, 08:47 PM
98prodrivewrs
Scooby Regular

Yea got all the stuff imentioned fitted looking for bigger injectors, clutch and have my eye on a turbo just not sure how easily it will be to fit(find out how easily it will go on next week) its a Greddy TD06 will that do? Apart from the stuff i have listed can you think of anything else i may need?

Have got a big brake kit,braided hoses, performance rear pads and disks as well as uprated suspension.(came with the full prodrive wr upgrade in 98 says Prodrive and sti on shocks) So hope that brakes and suspension will cope.

Hope engine will cope with 400bhp for best part of a year. On doing searches seems a few do when treated well. Any ideas on amount of cars that are running around 400bhp on uk internals?

Originally Posted by john banks
If you are trying to run 400 BHP on your 2.0 then I would go for a good 5 speed STi 5/6 box, change the rear diff to keep the short gearing. The torque will be modest on the 2.0 which will protect the gearbox to some degree.

Sounds like you have the right list of stuff re the power. Pulling it all together with the right turbo and the right map are the key things to get right. You'll need the ignition harness for the E-manage if you haven't already.
Old 10 June 2005, 08:51 PM
98prodrivewrs
Scooby Regular

Hi 911 whats the ppg kit? Not clued up much on performance tuning. Would the sti5/6 box and diff cope

Originally Posted by 911
Two things:

My 407/340 Sti v3 is on it's original trans and has endured some very hard drag starts over a 3 year period at 314 bhp/280 torque and this year the 407/340 level all on very sticky Kumho V70's. The tyre grip must not be ignored here IMHO as the grippy tyres resist spinning so much more when dumping the clutch.
If you can ease the shock to the trans so much the better (hence using an organic clutch?)
API will sell you/fit for you a late V5/6 trans or a range of 6 speeders.
A friend of mine who races a Legacy bought the whole 6 speeder 'kit' from a breakers for £1400 delivered to his door on a pallet.
Solid 5 speeders are about 3K with ppg kits (find Zen Performance)
I think V6 trans are about £600 without dccd.

All above plus fitting.
Remember a 6 speeder can have the larger clutch too.

Graham.
Old 10 June 2005, 09:00 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

check the greddy has the extra kit to fit a subaru, Before you buy it ,
Old 10 June 2005, 10:05 PM
98prodrivewrs
Scooby Regular

Sorry meant to say that i had a lot of the stuff fitted

Fitted following
de-cat, up pipe, induction kit, performance plugs and leads, fmic, fuel pump, greddy e-manage,greddy e-01 boost controler, fcd, and dump valve. Car already had prodrive exhaust, ecu (work done to it says prodrive and sti on case now not sure what they done) and uprated intercooler piping (off now for fmic)

wanted as follows
Bigger turbo (may have checking fitting), Bigger injectors(looking) gearbox (offered a sti 5/6 one and diff just have to work out how to get it transported) uprated clutch ( had paid for one but cancled order want something that will handle the power, hopefully not to heavy or impractical)

Think i remembered it all if not, anything else anyone can think off?

Thanks everyone for all help and pointers so far, though think i could have a lot more questions to ask

check the greddy has the extra kit to fit a subaru, Before you buy it ,
Old 11 June 2005, 06:00 AM
Scooby Regular

The PPG kit is a ange of helical or straight cut/ synchro or dog selected tough gearsets for the 5 speed box.
The hardened drag racers on here use them, and Zen Performance sell the kits.
Pavlo = Paul = Zen.
Good luck with the conversion.
You should 'feature' the car and your antics in Project section to amuse us all

Graham.
Old 12 June 2005, 11:12 AM
Cheryl
Scooby Regular

Commercial advertising is prohibited for unauthorised advertisers.

Please contact the webmaster for details on becoming an authorised advertiser.

Last edited by ex-webby; 12 June 2005 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12 June 2005, 01:52 PM
98prodrivewrs
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the advice guys
Old 12 June 2005, 04:27 PM
C 8HEP
Scooby Regular

ive got a v2 ra with dccd. if i want a 6 speed but keep dccd do i need a spec c, 6 speed box?
Old 13 June 2005, 10:32 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer

Originally Posted by C 8HEP
ive got a v2 ra with dccd. if i want a 6 speed but keep dccd do i need a spec c, 6 speed box?
To put a 6 speed in your car you'll need a gearbox from a 2002 on car from Japan with dccd [ not necessarily a spec C] OR a box from a written off WR1.

Either will have 3.9 front diff ratios and you'll need to fit a 3.9 rear diff to match. It is just possible that your RA may have a 3.9 rear diff already, as some do and a quote on here of your original transmission number will tell me.

The WR1 box - being Euro spec - will have a 1.1 : 1 drop gear set and uses a 3.545 rear diff which still means that you'll need a rear diff change - just for a different ratio !!

If that's not clear call me.

David APi Engines / APi Impreza
www.apiengines.com
Old 13 June 2005, 11:52 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

speak to zenn or lateral performance.

you really want a 5 speed as the 6 speed isn't great for proper power output cars with wider torque bands, unless you get forester or custom ratios that is.

Quick Reply: What gearbox for up to 450bhp