Notices

Smoke from exhaust after car has been on tickover

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2005, 06:00 PM
Shaggy1066
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Smoke from exhaust after car has been on tickover

I have a 2000 59k UK Turbo, I do quite alot of miles (approx 40k PA) recently I have noticed that if I leave the car on tick over for any amount of time say over one minute that as soon as I go to drive off smoke comes from the exhuast, I am 99.9% sure this is oil.

Is this a commen fault?

I was at Mazda's roto-stock over the weekend and spoke to numerous Scobby drivers most of which suggested something different leaving me even more confused than ever!!!

Can anyboddy shed any light on this?
Old 01 June 2005, 12:20 AM
fallwood
Scooby Regular

Could be play/wear in the turbo bearing, had this problem with my scoupe years ago, remedy was new turbo . Could also be the valve stem oil seals, if its the valve seals you tend to get smoking when you first start up in the morning (or after its been stood a while) and then it clears up, you can recondition the seals with an additive if their not to far gone, unfortunately the only way to recon the turbo bearing is to put a new one in. Im quite new to scoobys myself so all I can tell you is what ive experienced with other cars, could be something really simple but burning oil is never a good sign. Hope its nothing too serious .
Old 01 June 2005, 08:26 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaggy1066
I have a 2000 59k UK Turbo, I do quite alot of miles (approx 40k PA) recently I have noticed that if I leave the car on tick over for any amount of time say over one minute that as soon as I go to drive off smoke comes from the exhuast, I am 99.9% sure this is oil.

Is this a commen fault?

I was at Mazda's roto-stock over the weekend and spoke to numerous Scobby drivers most of which suggested something different leaving me even more confused than ever!!!

Can anyboddy shed any light on this?
Chap

My MY2000 I had in Australia (purchased new in 2000) was then fitted with an APS Stage 1 kit (which kept the warranty on the new car) taking it up to about 300 bhp. Car was fine but after about 10,000km, I noticed that when the car was warm, and I'd be idling for over a minute, as I pulled away there would be smoke (dark blue as well). If I then stopped again and tried it, it would not happen, but after a week of normal driving, I could get it to do it again. Went to the dealer after it happened and of course it didnm't do it - so waited a week, resisting the temptation to tryi it, took it back and showed them. They then gave me a car, and took my engine to bits to find the piston rings had all lined up. Apparently, they have seen it before but it was rare. Ended up rebuilding the engine and all was fine - and all under warranty.

It was hard to find the problem without taking the engine to bits so given the age of the car, and the lack of a warranty, see what can be done with the engine in situ. What colour is the smoke?

Andy
Old 01 June 2005, 01:14 PM
Shaggy1066
Scooby Regular

The smoke is blueish although I wouldn't say it was a deep or dark blue.

As I first noticed this after a recent service I rechecked the oil last night at it was over high mark, not by loads but I guess/hope that this may be the cause of the problem if it has increased oil pressure, if so is this major concern? Should I take it back to the garage and get them to drain some out, or I am I just looking for a cheap fix??
Old 01 June 2005, 05:37 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Location: Lancaster/Manchester or stuck in a traffic jam somewhere in between

It could just be a knackered MAF sensor causing over fuelling. Mine did this about a month or so ago.

Was fine on normal driving but everytime I pulled up at the lights or a junction where I was sat for a minute or so, dirty black smoke poured out as I pulled away.

Replaced the MAF... hey presto!

Do you know anyone with a similar aged car that you could just borrow one off for 5 or 10 minutes to see if that works?

Jeff