Notices

panel filter? which 1?

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2005, 04:10 PM
besty6543
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default panel filter? which 1?

im lookng to buy a panel filter for my 99uk turbo and dont no which 1 to get! i have heard that the k+n filters damage the maf sensors so im after a few ideas
any got any ideas?
Old 27 May 2005, 06:34 PM
ANDY T MILLERS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by besty6543
im lookng to buy a panel filter for my 99uk turbo and dont no which 1 to get! i have heard that the k+n filters damage the maf sensors so im after a few ideas
any got any ideas?
k&n"s induction kit knackers maf sensors i think the panel filters ok i"ve got a green panel filter they r highly fought ov
Old 27 May 2005, 06:34 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Never had any problems with a K&N as they are only lightly oiled just like the Green panel filter.

Most people will recommend the above 2 as well as the STi panel filter

http://www.scoobymania.co.uk/performance_info.asp?c=1
http://www.stiracing.com/product.php?cat_id=11&id=281
http://www.tsl-motorsport.co.uk/engine.html#green
http://www.performancesubaru.com/pro...p?id=94&cat=20
Old 27 May 2005, 06:57 PM
besty6543
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richiewong
Never had any problems with a K&N as they are only lightly oiled just like the Green panel filter.

Most people will recommend the above 2 as well as the STi panel filter

http://www.scoobymania.co.uk/performance_info.asp?c=1
http://www.stiracing.com/product.php?cat_id=11&id=281
http://www.tsl-motorsport.co.uk/engine.html#green
http://www.performancesubaru.com/pro...p?id=94&cat=20
does the sti filter need to be oiled?
Old 27 May 2005, 08:09 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The STi filter is a service part, ie it needs replacing every 2 yrs, 20k miles, it is IMHO probably one of the best filters out there (i had gains of 12bhp and 15lbs of torque on my MY03 JDM STi after fitting ), but its a dry filter, something you want over an oil filled filter, which can and do cause problems with the MAF sensors on MY99/00 cars

Tony
Old 27 May 2005, 08:54 PM
speedy1
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
The STi filter is a service part, ie it needs replacing every 2 yrs, 20k miles, it is IMHO probably one of the best filters out there (i had gains of 12bhp and 15lbs of torque on my MY03 JDM STi after fitting ), but its a dry filter, something you want over an oil filled filter, which can and do cause problems with the MAF sensors on MY99/00 cars

Tony
Tony, i looked at the links (specificly for the STI). The two items are different colours any reason?........
Old 27 May 2005, 10:07 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Shouldnt be different colours, just the one, if one is orange, thats the standard filter, the sti one has a wire mesh on it.

Tony
Old 27 May 2005, 10:59 PM
besty6543
Scooby Regular

Shouldnt be different colours, just the one, if one is orange, thats the standard filter, the sti one has a wire mesh on it.

Tony
there a re two different sti filters on them links 1 is orange and 1 is grey are they both the same or different they both have wire mesh on them with sti on the mesh
Old 27 May 2005, 11:23 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

I have the white coloured one, dont know about the other if it has mesh on?

Tony
Old 27 May 2005, 11:31 PM
besty6543
Scooby Regular

I have the white coloured one, dont know about the other if it has mesh on?

Tony

thats the 2 different 1s on them links, they both look the same, is it right to say you have the bottom 1 tony?
Old 28 May 2005, 07:37 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Isnt the bottom one a black and white photo?????
Old 28 May 2005, 07:49 PM
punkie
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
Isnt the bottom one a black and white photo?????
Yes...

Jezz.. iv'e gotta lay off the Jim Beam, i'm in a right pi88 taking mood tonight!

Rob
Old 28 May 2005, 07:51 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

For what its worth, In issue 1 of Scooby mag they dyno'd some panel filters, on a standard 01 WRX, STi filter showed a loss of 5 BHP & 2.5 lb of torque over the standard paper OE one, Green filter showed a tiny improvement in torque over the standard..
Old 28 May 2005, 08:00 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

The first one, the scooby mania one, as i got mine from scoobymania

BrynO,

Dont listen to what they put in scooby mag on a rolling road test, changed the OEM paper filter out of my MY03 JDM STi after 2 runs, both giving approx 299bhp and 300ish lbs of torque, did 2 more runs (car still on rollers) and increase of 12bhp and 15lbs of torque, now those are figures that speak for themselves

Tony
Old 28 May 2005, 08:19 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

How come their dyno test have shown a drop with the STi, then an increase again when they put the standard one back in? could be that different filters suit different motors.. isn't the STi filter a JDM market filter, so maybe more 'tuned' to the JDM STi rather than a standard UK WRX, which is what they tried it in??..
Old 28 May 2005, 08:26 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

The standard paper filter is the same for both cars, the STi panel filter though is a Japanese market product as you say, but dont under estimate it, this test i did was on a rolling road day with the car still on the rolling road when it was changed out and replaced, but the standard item is very restrictive, and now considering the BHP (official figures) are 276bhp and the car pushes 315bhp with this fitted.... nice
but it was never tested on an STi, just a wrx so......

Tony
Old 28 May 2005, 08:35 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

Yeh, I would be suprised if STi went to the trouble of making a filter that actually lost power! but maybe it is more suited to a JDM or STi than a standard WRX... I've tried both on mine, couldn't tell the difference TBH although Green gives more induction noise on light throttle, hold them both up to the light and the green is so, so thin compared to the STi, makes you wonder how effective it is at actually filtering..
Old 28 May 2005, 08:37 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Yup there is that, my JDM STi was quite restrictive passed 6500rpm, after the filter was fitted, you got a bit more noise but it was ever soooooooo free flowing after that redline without hesitation much better, though these do have a 20k life expectency.

Tony
Old 28 May 2005, 08:55 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

BrynO I've just fitted a green filter to my 05 WRX for exactly the same reason as you've stated here, namely the Scooby mag feature, however I'm aware that some people doudt their findings..!

The thing I wonder is were these 'comparison' tests done on a WRX..? I would wager they were repeated on an STi..! Maybe there is a difference between the two..?

All I think is this, scoobymag have no reason to favour one filter over the other, indeed they were suprised with the results themselves and they definately used a WRX as there test car.

That's good enough for me and I also like the fact you can hear the turbo spool up clearer..!

Jason
Old 29 May 2005, 12:12 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

The test was carried out on an MY01 WRX, no STi was present for the test (i mailed them and they gave me that answer).

Tony
Old 29 May 2005, 04:16 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
BrynO I've just fitted a green filter to my 05 WRX for exactly the same reason as you've stated here, namely the Scooby mag feature, however I'm aware that some people doudt their findings..!

The thing I wonder is were these 'comparison' tests done on a WRX..? I would wager they were repeated on an STi..! Maybe there is a difference between the two..?

All I think is this, scoobymag have no reason to favour one filter over the other, indeed they were suprised with the results themselves and they definately used a WRX as there test car.

Jason
Any tests are going to have conflicting views and results will vary on different cars. Even results from cars direct from the factory vary greatly.

Being pretty green in the game, we admit that some of our reasons for doing what we did were pretty vague and weren't spelled out fully.

To clarify further:

We tested a virtually standard MY01 WRX with a few aftermarket filters , that were available to us for this particular car, without any adjustment to any other parts of the car. This was to give an idea of what to expect for others doing the same. After all, many peoples first engine performance mods are exhaust and air filter without anything else.

Our reason for only having the very popular UK WRX - we were let down by the other people who promised to turn up (a classic STi and a bug eye STi both still with original air filters). This seems to be a trend among those offering their help to us.

The results reflected that on this WRX the original air filter element wasn't restricting the air flow to a degree where an aftermarket replacement would give substantial gains, which can be different with higher powered STi Imprezas.

Our findings with the different filters were proven on a rolling road and the graphs are there (somewhere) for all to see.

With regards to MAF destruction from oily filters - There are so many different stories out there that it is one of those areas that professionals disagree and so does everyone else. How many people have MAF failure without oily filters? How many don't? We always hear (big style) the horror stories, but never hear from the thousands of Joe Bloggs who has had one fitted for the past four years without a hiccup.

Finally, we would like to do more tests, but because power gain products are such hit and miss subjects, we have been advised by our legal representatives that we are best not to proceed with any to prevent any legal action being taken against us.

I hope this confuses you even more and makes want you all to keep you cars standard :P

If anyone has any questions, feel free PM or email me.