Notices

Turbo Timer

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2005, 08:15 AM
ScoobyTom
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Turbo Timer

I am thinking of fitting a turbo timer to a MY05 STi PPP and have a few questions:

1) Will this affect the warranty?
2) Which model is recommended?
3) Which is the best mounting position (pics anyone)?

Many thanks for any help.
Old 02 May 2005, 12:26 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Flame suit on...............
Complete and utter waste of money
Old 02 May 2005, 04:49 PM
ScoobyTom
Scooby Regular

OK, I've got to ask - why?

I though that a turbo timer would help increase the life expectancy of the engine by giving it a chance to cool down...
Old 02 May 2005, 04:55 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyTom
OK, I've got to ask - why?

I though that a turbo timer would help increase the life expectancy of the engine by giving it a chance to cool down...
cant you do that yourself by driving the last 5 minutes calmly or sitting in the car when you finish letting the engine tick over for a while?
Old 02 May 2005, 05:19 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 02 May 2005, 05:52 PM
ScoobyTom
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fitzscoob
cant you do that yourself by driving the last 5 minutes calmly or sitting in the car when you finish letting the engine tick over for a while?
Of course, and this would be a sensible approach after a good run out. But I do a large number of short (5-10min) trips and whilst I will not be thrashing it every time I don't relish the thought of spending a minute at the end of each one waiting for the turbo to cool. Thus, I thought that the turbo timer might help increase the engine life.
Old 03 May 2005, 12:43 AM
mikeswrx02
Scooby Regular

Of course, and this would be a sensible approach after a good run out. But I do a large number of short (5-10min) trips and whilst I will not be thrashing it every time I don't relish the thought of spending a minute at the end of each one waiting for the turbo to cool. Thus, I thought that the turbo timer might help increase the engine life.
Hi m8,

The timer is basically a set time of idle before it switches the engine off.

If you do short trips and with no trashing u wont need a long idle as the engine and turbo is not stressed. Maybe just wait for 30 secs b4 switching off.

Mainly to prolong your turbo as it will clear out excess oil.

Note - always warm up for few minutes before driving and warm down after driving. When extreme cold warm up abit longer and dont trash until your engine temp is stable.

Regards
Mike
Old 03 May 2005, 07:19 AM
ScoobyTom
Scooby Regular

OK - accepting that a turbo timer is not necessary but might be convenient - has anyone any thoughts on:

1) Will fitting one affect the warranty?
2) Which make/model is recommended (Apexi, Blitz, etc)?
4) How do turbo timers work with the MY05 alarm system - can it be set to arm after the engine switches off?
5) What do insurance companies think of turbo timers?
Old 03 May 2005, 10:38 AM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

OK - accepting that a turbo timer is not necessary but might be convenient - has anyone any thoughts on:

4) How do turbo timers work with the MY05 alarm system - can it be set to arm after the engine switches off?
Your insurance company is unlikely to appreciate the need for a turbo timer, or the convenience of a remote start device for that matter, for the same reason.

“Cat 1” security systems are tested as a complete product and then given an evaluation number by Thatcham based on the products proposed usage.

In their view, adding any other product at a later date, which interacts directly with the approved security system or by-passes any of its circuits, can be looked upon as a modification to the system that was tested and could void the approval on that particular installation. To be fair, you wouldn’t expect a Category 1 product to still gain you the same recognition by your insurance company if the immobilisation circuits were not connected?

Adding additional products such as turbo timers and remote start devices are seen by Thatcham (the UK insurance industry’s test centre) to compromise security in the same way, as these systems usually have to by-pass the security system's immobilisation circuits to allow the engine to run. In theory a turbo timer need not cause a problem provided that it is not connected to or by-passes the existing immobilisation wiring, however the immobiliser would kick in 30 seconds after the ignition was turned off (a Thatcham requirement), limiting the turbo timer to 30 seconds.

There are also a couple of other points for you to consider:

Due to the UK insurance industrys requirements (and EU legislation) a turbo timer or remote start unit is unlikely to have been designed with the UK market in mind and so is unlikely to have been tested to EU 95/54 (- electrical legislation) and will not bear an “e” mark to show that the product has been tested and is fit for the automotive environment.
In addition, leaving a vehicle unattended in a public place with the engine running is also an offence in the
UK, contravening the Construction and Use regulations.

If you don’t mention the mods to your insurance company, or the broker does not understand the implications of the modifications, then they will still be happy to take your money, but few vehicles with the standard system are stolen without the keys, so if an enlightened insurance inspector were to detect the modification it could invalidate a policy and save them paying out...

SS
Old 03 May 2005, 01:36 PM
ScoobyTom
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the detailed answer.
Old 08 June 2005, 12:21 AM
Sideways, the way forward
Scooby Regular

Hmmm dunno about warranty... I would assume that it might be something that subaru wouldnt like. However if you ever need to take the car in under warranty and they dont like the turbo timer just disconnect it before taking it to them, it is a relatively simple procedure.

Get the HKS type 1 (mph version) turbo timer! it has the automatic timer facility that adjusts relative to how hard you've been driving. It also displays speed/revs. You can set limits on either so it flashes (i.e. a shift light for the revs). It has a 0-60 timer function. Its a pretty funky piece of kit. AND it is very convenient when wanting to leave the car cooling (also it is a good indication of how long to leave it).

There is only one problem. Alarm systems wont activate whilst the turbo timer is in operation. Makes sense really because the alarm/immobiliser thinks the car is still moving and therefore wont arm. Quite simple to get around. Your alarm needs have an auto-arm facility i.e. when you open the door, it auto arms after 30secs. (standard subaru sigma alarm does this).

A bit of custom wiring is needed to flick the door switch on and off so the auto-arm comes on when the turbo timer/engine cuts off..... This allows you to manually lock the door with the key walk away and the car will auto arm itself after the turbo timer has cut off.

You might think that this makes the car quite vunerable at first, but to be honest using the automatic timer on the turbo timer often lasts less than 1min anyway.

I have mine mounted on the far right of the dash nr the drivers side A pillar, just tucked in the corner facing me. Its good when viewing speed, easier than looking at the speedo. (dont have any pics am afraid)

Insurance companies wont like them at all, but this can be worked out.