Notices

Hybrid Electronic Boost problems

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2005, 05:14 PM
andydavies
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hybrid Electronic Boost problems

I have a UK 97 Turbo 2000, and had previously fitted a Dawes MBV originally I set the boost to 16psi with the orifice still in place. The car ran fine and the boost level would remain constant at 16psi. I then fitted a AFR so decided to increase the prssure slighty to 17psi at the time I was advised to remove the orifice. Since then I have had issues with hitting the fuel cut (18psi) when the engine is under high load conditions i.e. 4th or 5th gear around 3.5K to 4.5K revs. Also the boost pressure would not remain constant and would overshoot I had allways thought this was down to the extra 1psi i.e trying to run to close to the fuel cut. But now I'm not sure.

Last week I installed a Hybrid Electronic boost control again without the orifice. I set the low range at the standard pressure(for my car) 12psi. At this level the boost reaches 12psi and remains constant no problems. However I decided to set the high range to 17psi but again have problems hitting the fuel cut as the pressure does not stay constant at 17psi and tends to overshoot. If I adjust the EBC by the tiniest amount it runs at 16psi and holds steady.

Anyone still following this?

Anyhow I then decided to refit the orifice without touching the EBC I ran it this morning in the low range (set at 12psi) but achieved more like 17-18psi, this was to be expected as there will be a time delay due to the reduced flowrate through the orifice.

But why should the boost level not remain constant when at the higher pressure?
Is the TD04 simply running out of puff and the pressure is tailing off? I do have a full H&S decat fitted.
Should the orifice be in or out?
Am I defeating the point of using the fast acting 3 port solenoid by refitting the orifice?

Apologies for turning this into a bit of an essay.
Thanks
Andy.
Old 29 April 2005, 01:14 PM
morpheous
Scooby Regular

By orifice do you mean ristrictor ?
I hab same probs just use fuel cut defender to manage 1.2bar but you wont hold it to max it drops to around 1.1bar
Your Td04 turbo should be ok at 1.2bar
As for a 3 port solenoid why?
I use the blitz 2 port with no probs at this level
Originally Posted by andydavies
I have a UK 97 Turbo 2000, and had previously fitted a Dawes MBV originally I set the boost to 16psi with the orifice still in place. The car ran fine and the boost level would remain constant at 16psi. I then fitted a AFR so decided to increase the prssure slighty to 17psi at the time I was advised to remove the orifice. Since then I have had issues with hitting the fuel cut (18psi) when the engine is under high load conditions i.e. 4th or 5th gear around 3.5K to 4.5K revs. Also the boost pressure would not remain constant and would overshoot I had allways thought this was down to the extra 1psi i.e trying to run to close to the fuel cut. But now I'm not sure.

Last week I installed a Hybrid Electronic boost control again without the orifice. I set the low range at the standard pressure(for my car) 12psi. At this level the boost reaches 12psi and remains constant no problems. However I decided to set the high range to 17psi but again have problems hitting the fuel cut as the pressure does not stay constant at 17psi and tends to overshoot. If I adjust the EBC by the tiniest amount it runs at 16psi and holds steady.

Anyone still following this?

Anyhow I then decided to refit the orifice without touching the EBC I ran it this morning in the low range (set at 12psi) but achieved more like 17-18psi, this was to be expected as there will be a time delay due to the reduced flowrate through the orifice.

But why should the boost level not remain constant when at the higher pressure?
Is the TD04 simply running out of puff and the pressure is tailing off? I do have a full H&S decat fitted.
Should the orifice be in or out?
Am I defeating the point of using the fast acting 3 port solenoid by refitting the orifice?

Apologies for turning this into a bit of an essay.
Thanks
Andy.
Old 29 April 2005, 07:34 PM
andydavies
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by morpheous
By orifice do you mean ristrictor ?
I hab same probs just use fuel cut defender to manage 1.2bar but you wont hold it to max it drops to around 1.1bar
Your Td04 turbo should be ok at 1.2bar
As for a 3 port solenoid why?
I use the blitz 2 port with no probs at this level

By orifice yes I was refering to restrictor. Do you have yours fitted?
3 port solenoid is part of the Hybrid Electronic Controller kit.
Andy.
Old 29 April 2005, 07:41 PM
morpheous
Scooby Regular

No Andy no restrictor fitted Just piped the 2 port solenoid in line using new tubing,
Blocked the hose off on the original solenoid and left wiring and hose to inlet tube connected.
Always wondered if it was right though ?
But works so left it alone.
Would have thought you may get boost spikes with restrictor ?
Anyone else using the restrictor with ebc ?
Old 29 April 2005, 09:43 PM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

Fuel cut on my MY97 has always been about 16psi or maybe just over, according to my Autometer guage. Maybe my guage is slightly wrong? Anything over 16psi though and I think you'd be best with a fuel cut defender.

J
Old 30 April 2005, 11:06 AM
andydavies
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by JamieMacdonald
Fuel cut on my MY97 has always been about 16psi or maybe just over, according to my Autometer guage. Maybe my guage is slightly wrong? Anything over 16psi though and I think you'd be best with a fuel cut defender.

J
Runs at 16psi with no problems, fuel is definatley 18psi, of course there could allways be some variance between gauges, I'm also using a Autometer.

Andy.
Old 30 April 2005, 07:21 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

the hybrid EBC has built in fuel cut defencer doesnt it?
Old 01 May 2005, 09:42 AM
andydavies
Scooby Regular

Smile Hybrid

Originally Posted by Peanuts
the hybrid EBC has built in fuel cut defencer doesnt it?
No it is sold as a boost controller not fuel cut defender. Having said that I know of 2 other cars with a Hybrid both classic imports where the cut is being lifted but this is purely a side effect not deliberate. However my car is 97 ie facelift and UK. The cut is not been lifted on mine do not if this is down to the different ecu's.
Andy.
Old 01 May 2005, 10:42 AM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

Is it not one of these then? Or have you not got the fuel cut defender 'part'?

"Electronic boost controller with fuel cut defender and three port boost solenoid"

I would be interested to know the actual fuel cut limit on a MY97 ECU as on my car there is no way it will run 16psi (well, according to my guage) without fuel cut within a couple of seconds. Maybe if I measured boost nearer the turbo I'd get a more accurate figure...
Old 01 May 2005, 04:52 PM
andydavies
Scooby Regular

Smile

[QUOTE=JamieMacdonald]Is it not one of these then? Or have you not got the fuel cut defender 'part'?

"Electronic boost controller with fuel cut defender and three port boost solenoid"

Jamie, yes it is one of those, but it does not work as a fuel cut defender, I know the guy who wrote the fitting instructions they will be amended to remove the words "fuel cut defender" following what happened with my car.

Andy.