Notices

CEL ON AFTER SPARK PLUGS CHANGED

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2005, 07:26 PM
tershman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL ON AFTER SPARK PLUGS CHANGED

I have been looking around for some advice and can't quite find what I am looking for and was wondering if you guys could help please...
My car has been running fine I put it in the garage for a service today and when i got it back the CEL was on.
I stopped the car and restarted it the light went out away I went.I drove for a couple of miles not on boost and the car was fine,I parked up went to pick up a parcel and headed home.I decided not far from home to give it a race the CEL came on the car hesitated and through me back into the seat.
I have followed the link to clear the ECU everything seems fine the car gets to 2500rpm or just above the same thing happens.
I drive it under 2500rpm for abit the CEL goes out, take it above 2500rpm the same thing.
I have read about the MAF going and was wondering if this was the cause maybe the garage distured something whilst doing the plugs....

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I was hope for some fun tonight no such luck now............
Thanks in advance....
Old 22 April 2005, 07:49 PM
mark6
Scooby Regular

i would say the easiest thing to do is get the code retrieved and find out from that what the problem is,as thats what the cel light is for.
Old 22 April 2005, 10:39 PM
bikerthou
Scooby Regular

what vehicle is it it could be a plug breaking down setting a missfire
Old 22 April 2005, 10:46 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gives you a morbid fear of garage servicing doesn't it!
JohnD
Old 23 April 2005, 12:54 PM
tershman
Scooby Regular

It's a 98 Uk model I disconnected the battery last night went back out a couple of hours later reconnected it and the car drove like a dream.Later on I went out to fuel up and the same fault happened.
I got up this morning and took the car for a run again it was fine,so I went back to the garage and explained what had happened and I have to take it on Monday to get put on the computer.
I drove round the corner from the garage and the CEL came on again...bizzare.
I think they must have disturbed something when they were changing the plugs so hopefully they will sort it on Monday.
Old 25 April 2005, 07:55 PM
tershman
Scooby Regular

Took the car back to the garage today and they said thay have checked evry single connection just to make sure.
I was talking to one of the mechanics who said his mate had the same problem on a classic wagon and it turned out to be the camshaft sensor.
Does that sound right to any you guys.
Anyone know how much they cost??
Cheers guys
Stevie
Old 04 May 2005, 06:24 PM
tershman
Scooby Regular

Talking

I checked the code and it was 45 pressure sensor solenoid and followed the advice on the other threads and bought some carb and some brake cleaner.
Took the electrical connector off and cleaned it and took off each of the pipes in turn and sprayed carb cleaner down them.
I reset the ecu and took it for a spin it feels more responsive and goes like stink again.
When I came back I connected the 2 black connectors and the CEL was flashing as it should so I think touch wood that I have fixed the problem.
So much for the garage telling me it was the camshaft sensor,I could have spent 85 quid on a sensor and still had the problem.
But a fiver well tenner well spent on cleaner and hopefully that will be the end of it for now.

Cheeers guys
stevie