Notices

heatshield rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2005, 05:30 PM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default heatshield rattle?

Just had the local tyre and exhaust place fit an sti backbox onto my my97 turbo. Looks much better.
However, got stuck in appalling traffic on way back and when coming to a standstill after only travelling a few metres I can hear a rattle-type/knocking sound from the engine. It is not that lound and quite low in frequency and lasts for a few seconds. Can't hear it with window open.

can't hear it at higher revs or on boost.

Does this sound like a heatshield was disturbed. At the back of my mind is more sinister reasons like cambelt tensioner etc.

Please put my mind at rest.
Nick
Old 15 April 2005, 08:41 PM
pmarch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had a loose heatshield on my old Primera, it made a 'rinky tinkly' sound (a bit like dragging tin cans along the road). It tended to be a constant sound, more so at higher revs or when you rev up.
Old 16 April 2005, 01:40 PM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Cheers, ne1 else? It seems too much of a coincidence - occurs just after the exhaust has been played around with. Going to have a look around the engine and shields to see if I can recognise anything that's lose.
Old 16 April 2005, 06:03 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nick_Cat
I can hear a rattle-type/knocking sound from the engine
Are you sure its coming from the engine?

If all they have changed is the backbox, then the turbo heatshield shouldn't have been touched. In fact the bonnet doesn't even get opened.

It is entirely possible that the turbo shield has corroded and has started to rattle at the same time and merely a coincidence.

Check it by gripping it tightly whilst the car idles to see if the rattle stops. Watch, its hot!

There are other possibilities that an ill-fitting backbox could cause a rattle and these are probably more likely IMHO. Make sure the exhaust is mounted centrally and not touching the metal plate protecting the underbody.

Oh yeah, also, don't let Kwikfit or National Tyres etc etc near your Scooby! I've seen and heard some horror stories!!!!
Old 16 April 2005, 07:38 PM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

my turbo heatshield rattles to mate, i have a hairline crack in it dont know what caused this but never the less it needs replacing as the rattle at low revs sounds awful