Notices

ECU remap -TEK 3

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2005, 04:39 PM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow ECU remap -TEK 3

I am slowly edging closer and closer to biting the bullet and getting my RB5 re-mapped on a TEK 3.

the current setup on the car is a full de cat HKS system (super dragger) with a full open neck downpipe. and a pipercross cone filter.

the ECU is a standard version (NOT the PPP or WR version)

the car r/roaded @ 255bhp \ 247lb/ft torque @ PE

click on image for full res

I hear good things & I hear bad things about mapped ECU's which makes me wary of getting mine done.

I read thru the gr8 topics on here and learn a lot.

The RB5 runs fine, never had a problem, it's just done 50k miles and has been regulary serviced, eveen more regular oil filter / oil changes and every1 that has driving it has said "this is the best impreza I have ever driven"

mates are always saying 'check engine' light comes on, boost problems.
but then in the same breathe they say better fuel economy, runs much smoother, better mid range torque / pull.

what i'm asking, well, what i'm worried about is if I bite the bullet and get it mapped am I just asking for a heap of problems ahead of me.

£575 on a map

or £575 towards the £1400 AP 6 pot setup

the RB5 is quite well spec'd everywhere but the engine department which shows you my continuing dilemna of whether to do it.

ENGINE
Grounding System (Lineage)
HKS De cat Twin Dump downpipe.
HKS De Cat Super dragger exhaust system.
Pipercross cone air filter.
Forge VTA dumpvalve.
Samco Blue Silicone Boost & Coolant hoses.
Intercooler splitter.
Intercooler rear tilt.

EXTERIOR
18" P-WRC1 Anthracite Wheels
Crystal clear side indicators.
Crystal clear front indicators/Philips SilverVision bulbs.
Crystal clear sidelights/Philips BlueVision bulbs.
Headlight bulbs uprated to PhilipsVision Plus.
Driving light bulbs uprated to Halfords 140W.
STI rear lights.
STI front lip spoiler.
Prodrive boot spoiler.
Genuine 22B bonnet vents.
Colour coded 'wedges.'
Flamer kit.
RB5 badging changed to Blue/Silver.
Front and rear sunstrips.
PIAA windscreen wipers.
Personal registration plate "R555 RB5"
Kaylan Rally Mudflaps.
STI Front grille and lower grille.

BRAKES
EBC Group N (F) discs with Red Pads.
EBC Group N ® discs.
Goodridge braided brake hoses. front & rear.
AP Racing brake fluid.

INTERIOR
STI gearknob.
STI foot pedals.
PSi3 SECS monitor in centre pod.
RB5 OC floor mats.
Boost, Oil Pressure & Temp. Defi guages mounted in A-pillar pod.
Snooper radar detector.
Full size spare wheel with raised floor.

ICE
Kenwood MP3/WMA player.
JBL front component speakers.
Phillips DAP600 & DAP300 Amplifiers.
Boxed Alpine 12” dual cone Subwoofer.

SUSPENSION
Front (STI carbon) & rear (Cusco) Upper & Lower Strutbrace.
Whiteline rear Drop Links.
Whiteline Anti Lift Kit.
P1 Shocks and springs (Bilstein & Eibach)
Prodrive Geometry set-up.

I would really appreciate some help / advice / serious comments.
Old 08 April 2005, 10:47 PM
BVM
Scooby Regular

I have an ECUTek remap on MY02 WRX. No CEL's and it is much smoother. Not too sure about MPG yet cause I have been driving it hard ever since! Go for the remap.
Old 12 April 2005, 09:03 PM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

any1 else?
Old 12 April 2005, 11:05 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my jdm wrx re-maped about 2 months ago and all i can say is that its the best mod you can do my car is now so much better , in the end the re-map thing will just niggle away at you and in the end you will get it done ,so do it now

some may say better to spend your money on the brakes but at the end of the day its YOUR money, spend it as you see fit
Old 13 April 2005, 08:33 AM
MattPiece
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rb5 286
any1 else?
I'm a week into having my Tek 3 remap. It was done by Pat H at Surrey RR on my STi V5. The main reason I had it done was to minimise engine failure (fairly common on my year STis), maximise my decat + filter and also to smooth out the torque and bhp curves. It was done in 1hr 15mins, on a RR (safer for you and your license!).

The car, so far, is great and is giving me more peace of mind. Of course, that wont apply to you as you're running a UK RB5! But the main difference is the response and pull from the acceleration. The overboost has gone and it pulls noticeably better. Considering I paid £750 for decat a few years ago, a Tek 3 remap at £500 + vat (group buy price) is well, well, worth it! Oh, and should you add further mods, a subsequent remap is far cheaper as you dont have to buy the license!

Just make sure you get a respected Tek 3 mapper. Pat H, Andy F, Pavlo seem to be the names worthy of your car. Plus, you may want to add a new MAF prior to remapping as late classic MAFs were poor.
Old 13 April 2005, 03:11 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Into the 2nd week of having mine done UK MY00 (Same as yours without all the hype ) What did i notice? It's quicker it pulls longer Not sure about fuel economy, personally I think that's a bit of a sales ploy because if it's quicker you are gonna boot it more and have a play so if the consumption is higher you will blame yourself, if you take it steady it will be better but what would it have been pre map
I took mine to Scoobyclinic who need very little introduction Pat did the remap on both the rollers and the road I did find a small boost issue afterwards which was "mapped" out on a subsequent visit. Now goes like chuff (IMHO)
It seems smoother now, but I think that is a placebo on my part as I took the VTA off and replaced it with the OE recirc after 3 years. My brain still waits for the whoosh pop bang and all the other comotion and because it doesn't happen, i'm sure it gives the illusion of a smoother ride. Like a quieter car "feels" smoother

So in a few sentences, yes get it done but be prepared to have it "fine tuned" It probably won't be bang on first time. Oh and enjoy
Old 13 April 2005, 04:17 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

3 weeks after my decat / tek 3 and I cannot complain. It is now as it should have been - can't recommend it enough!!!
Old 13 April 2005, 05:01 PM
Andy McCord
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is worth having it done, more so for an STi, your mapper will always map conservatively within your engine's limit.

One point though, it will put a little more strain on the expendable things on your car, its quite common for semi-worn clutch to be pushed to extinction a little faster than they normally would, but thats a trade off for more torque & BHP.

Just ensure all your aspirations mods wise are fitted beforehand, any doubt as to which way to go, speak to your mapper first.

Andy
Old 16 April 2005, 07:24 PM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

thanks people for all your helpful advice and experiences

It looks like I will probably be getting Pat & Xtreme Scoobies to do the mapping.

another question...

is it best to get the mapping done on the rollers or on the road, reason I ask is that no matter how big a fan u stick in front of the car on the rolelrs u just dont get enough air rammed in as u would on the road!!!

i intend doing the tilt mod and fitting an STI 6 intercooler with the i/c splitter before the mapping so this should aid in that area hopefully.

Also, now the RB5 is getting on to 6 years old & 50k miles, would I be right in thinking upgrading the fuel pump would be a good idea???
Old 16 April 2005, 08:28 PM
XS-Home
Scooby Regular

How many miles do you drive on rollers & how many on the road? Road is great for most mapping jobs, though rollers are good for diagnostics.

Once you are out with the mapper, a diagnostic usually is undertaken & at this stage issues like MAF, plugs, fuel etc will be flagged up.

So no need to spend out money unless you have to.....