Notices

Knock Link showing red - advice needed!

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2005, 11:47 AM
Dave East
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Knock Link showing red - advice needed!

Hi all

Fitted a KnockLink yesterday to a MY99 UK Turbo. The only mods so far are Afterburner backbox and decatted centre pipe and an STi panel filter.

I've set the knocklink up as per the insturcutions. under normal load I don't get any lights, and when applying about 3/4 throttle the first and occasionally second green light comes on - which is fine.

If I suddenly boot it to the floor then all the lights come on including the big red scary one! I've got a downpipe to fit and a remap with BRD booked for June. Should I be overly concerend? I've got some octane booster - should that help to reduce the knock? Or should I just take it easy until the remap.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

All the best

Dave.
Old 29 March 2005, 12:29 PM
CJAF7R
Scooby Regular

i am in a similar situation matey, iv been driving steady since i fitted the knocklink even tho it is only occasionally i was seeing amber or a quick flash of red.

I would have thought yours would be ok being a UK, mine is an import still mapped for 100ron.

my plans are sti5 intercooler and standard airbox/sti filter which iv got at home. after that its being remapped. if your due for a remap soon, then tell them about it there. untill then take it a bit steady to be on the safe side mate
Old 29 March 2005, 12:31 PM
Dave East
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi CJAF7R!

Thanks for the reply looks like I'll just have to 'behave' for the next few months!!

Cheers

Dave
Old 29 March 2005, 12:36 PM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

IMO, you should reset your ECU (by leaving the battery disconnected for a while), then run the car up and see if it has a problem maintaining a stable idle.
If the idle fluctuates up and down and the car seems like it wants to stall, this would indicate that the MAF sensor may be failing, causing a lean running condition resulting in you seeing KL activity ( ie. detonation)

MY99 and 00 cars are prone to MAF failiure, and the ECU masks the condition to a certain degree, although inevitably the engine will grenade itself if this is the problem

Other than that, you could try running some Optimax with OB, to see if it quietens the KL activity down.

If you are not too sure of what you are doing, you should get your car checked out by someone, as your car is a fairly standard type UK, and should be OK running on normal 95 RON Unleaded. IMO there is definately a problem with it.

My money is on the MAF sensor though

Richard
Old 29 March 2005, 01:47 PM
scoobyDAZZA
Scooby Regular

maf,yup,bob keeps them in stock if you can wait that long

on my00 classic ive got full de-cat,headers,up-pipe etc
remapped by bob and the KL is set to max sensitivity
and when i hit the rev limiter in 3rd the 1st green flickers
Old 29 March 2005, 02:50 PM
Dave East
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the info guys.

The car is going in for a service in a week. Gonna get the MAF changed then. I've also ordered some Millers NF (the black bottle) whioch should inmprove matters a little

dazza1802 - my old man's got an STi8 mapped by Bob at BRD and his is similar tyo yours - just a flicker of green right at the very limit! Can't waity for Bob to weave his magic mith mine!!
Old 29 March 2005, 04:56 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

Where've you mounted the mic?
Old 30 March 2005, 06:48 AM
Dave East
Scooby Regular

Mounted in a bolt hole just underneath the intercooler - replaced the existing bolt with a M8 x 30 to mount the Bosch sensor.
Old 30 March 2005, 11:12 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Just fitted mine at the weekend, MY00 Classic, get second green when booting it but I thinks that's down to background noise more than anything. As above I would change your MAF sensor, for the sake of ~£80 it's well worth it for peace of mind. I fitted a new MAF to mine a few weeks back (pre KnockLink) as I suspected it was on it's way out.