Notices

Boost controllers

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2005, 10:32 PM
BonzWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Boost controllers

What are peoples opinions on the mechanical boost controllers, as a temporary stop gap, before electronic controllers or a remap. Run with a boost gauge obviously.
What boost can the cars run, still in the safe zones, before the fuel pumps etc need uprating?
Advice/opinions gratefully received
Old 26 March 2005, 09:43 AM
Cytrax
Scooby Regular

I dunno if this helps you,

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=413540
Old 26 March 2005, 11:59 AM
BonzWRX
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply, but still not sure!
Opinion seems to be 50/50. Some say its ok to use a MBC to raise boost a couple of PSI, if monitored.
Others say the engine will go bang!
Decisions decisions!
Think i will leave it alone for the time being, until i have a definitive arguement.

Thanks all.
Old 26 March 2005, 12:16 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem is not that the fuel pump will be inadequate but rather that you will run weaker AFRs. The deficiency is that your ECU may not adequately fuel for the increased boost. If you know what you are doing, it is possible, sometimes, not always, to lift the boost and maintain satisfactory fueling.
If you mess about with the boost, without satisfactory knowledge or the means to observe AFRs accurately be prepared for the potential costly consequences.
This is one of the causes of the engine failures you can read about on here.
Old 26 March 2005, 12:55 PM
Cytrax
Scooby Regular

I think also the main thing to remember is that the car is only meant to safely run @ 0.7 MAX PSI, so its like anything in motors, if it needs to go faster you need to also think about the safety side of things. The faster you go the faster you need to stop,

And in your case and in everyone who owns a scooby, the thing to remember is that to achive safe boost like some cars on here can, some above 1.5PSI. The thing to make sure of is to make sure that the engine + the ECU knows whats going to happen so New injectors, new Feul pump, etc all things that are going to make your motor Boost quicker and safer, all cars here can probably boost to 1.2 bars with adjustable boost but not for long,

I for one have changed my 94 JAp WRX with a superchip and a bleedvalve from boosting to 1.2 PSI to the standard 0.7 PSI just because I would like to conserve and not ruin my lovelly asset,

But its entirley up to yourself, and yea its fun to feel the boost when it goes high but just immagine this while your having fun one day Vrooooom Vroooom Vrooooooooooooooooom (thats the biig boost) Bang......... Stop!!!!!!
Ohh F&#K

I have also posted a little vid of the car overboosting here
Old 26 March 2005, 12:56 PM
BonzWRX
Scooby Regular

Thats definitive enough for me!

Cheers!
Old 26 March 2005, 01:13 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

If you raise the boost like Harvey has stated you need to monitor the AFR to ensure you are not running lean. If you fit a knocklink and a method for monitoring AFR's like a Lambdalink or a Dawes you should be relatively safe (could also have the AFR's checked with a wideband lambda) - The knocklink will show any indication of Detonation and the AFR will provide information on what the fuelling is doing. The most popular MBC used seems to be the Dawes device which works rather well

Cheers
Old 27 March 2005, 12:07 AM
buzzard
Scooby Regular

Wink

nice reply Cytrax but you need to remove the decimal point from your psi figures