Notices

Dump Valves...which one to choose??

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2005, 03:04 PM
WRXPPP'd
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dump Valves...which one to choose??

Not sure how to go about choosing the "right" one....

Just bought an Impreza with PPP and would like to fit a VTA dv.

Dont want fit anything to loud as the car is used every day by the girlfriend who would probably get the bus to work rather than listen to the car hiss at her for 30 miles!

I understand i won't get the rally car "cheaping" sound.... but im looking to get as close as to it as possible to put a little grin on my face!

Then theres the performance issue.... will anything i fit affect the performance/efficiency of the car/turbo....

Anybody lend out some advise on this matter.....

Cheers in advance
Old 23 March 2005, 03:13 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

If your going to get one, get a good one that doesnt leak and mess with idle. Personally use a HKS SSQV which is a good bit of kit. Is a loud 'chirp' though.

As for performance...it wont give you any power improvements, but I certainly perfer who the car behaves between gearchanges with the HKS. Seems sloppy going back to the OE one.

Oh...if you have a full de-cat you may well get plenty of pops and flames out of the exhaust

No doubt the brigade will be along shortly to tell you that its going to be bad for the car and chav etc etc .....bah bah bah

Have a search as this topic has been to death many times before.

Bob
Old 23 March 2005, 03:18 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

I had one on for about 3 months - got rid of it as it just got annoying after a while. Although scaring old folks witless was highly amusing
Old 23 March 2005, 03:19 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Its bad for the car and it'll make you a chav....

Actually - do what you like - its your car !

I don't even run a D/V anymore, so it makes all sorts of 'neighbour' unfriendly noises - but it suits my purpose ......
Old 23 March 2005, 03:23 PM
WRXPPP'd
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Bob, I'll have a look for any old related topics..

The idea of a DV on the car was going to be dropped as i always seem to associate them to the good old "chav" or "ned" car....

But after driving a friends STI with an HKS dv on the gear changes seem to be more crisp... no judder/jump forward when changing up gear at higher revs.

Decisions Decisions!
Old 23 March 2005, 03:32 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by markwild
Its bad for the car and it'll make you a chav....

Actually - do what you like - its your car !

I don't even run a D/V anymore, so it makes all sorts of 'neighbour' unfriendly noises - but it suits my purpose ......
Mark....how you getting away with using one? Whats the effect on the turbo?

Bob
Old 23 March 2005, 04:08 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Bob - I'm running a TD05 with FE now - When I wanted to fit the Prodrive GrpN inlet pipe, it had no 'T' for the D/V return, so I decided to keep it that way - a quick conversation with AndyF confirmed that it would survive OK, so I plugged the exit on the FMIC and removed all the remaining D/V pipework.

It can be a little odd at times - the car 'chuffs' a lot when you throttle off - repeatedly if you don't get back on the gas - this is the turbo stalling - However, if you're up-changing and quick, it doesn't seem to effect it too much (a little cheep, rather than the chuffing) and the boost within the FMIC seems to stay retained (so I guess that helps spool-up).

I can certainly live with it, and gearchange spool is certainly no slower in practice to either the re-circ or the VTA I ran (for 3 days !). The car was also mapped this way with the inlet and headers done.

hope this helps,

Mark
Old 23 March 2005, 04:24 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

ah I see.

Well these TD05 units must be tough *******.

Cheers.

Bob
Originally Posted by markwild
Bob - I'm running a TD05 with FE now - When I wanted to fit the Prodrive GrpN inlet pipe, it had no 'T' for the D/V return, so I decided to keep it that way - a quick conversation with AndyF confirmed that it would survive OK, so I plugged the exit on the FMIC and removed all the remaining D/V pipework.

It can be a little odd at times - the car 'chuffs' a lot when you throttle off - repeatedly if you don't get back on the gas - this is the turbo stalling - However, if you're up-changing and quick, it doesn't seem to effect it too much (a little cheep, rather than the chuffing) and the boost within the FMIC seems to stay retained (so I guess that helps spool-up).

I can certainly live with it, and gearchange spool is certainly no slower in practice to either the re-circ or the VTA I ran (for 3 days !). The car was also mapped this way with the inlet and headers done.

hope this helps,

Mark
Old 23 March 2005, 04:27 PM
C 8HEP
Scooby Regular

bailey evo twin piston
Old 23 March 2005, 04:29 PM
SwishOvBolton
Scooby Regular

the blitz gives the rally car sound !!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry if someone mentioned this didnt want keep reading through it gives the wastegate chatter sound not 2 loud unless ur running high boost ,
but it did always cut my car out goin round corners and on gear changes twice it stalled it once and i nearly wrote it off took it back to hper performance and they said 1 in every 200 cars does it , but if there was a 1000 scoobs to choose from and i could pick 5 all 5 would be the same they`d all stall

Last edited by SwishOvBolton; 23 March 2005 at 04:33 PM.
Old 23 March 2005, 05:25 PM
bellablarhole
Scooby Newbie

Swish... which baily DV??

Ive been lookin at... HKS, Bailey and Forge... then went intenational to the states.... the list seems to be rather large and would prefer to buy something tried and tested...

So don't know what to do!

Anybody! ha!
Old 24 March 2005, 04:40 PM
SwishOvBolton
Scooby Regular

baileys twin piston dump valve they sell them at R.E performance and collins made for subaru`s i think
Old 24 March 2005, 05:46 PM
Neil_G
Scooby Regular

I had a VTA on my car for around 6 months....was fun at first then I got bored of it.

Have fitted my OE one back on and prefer it straight away....a bit of a waste of money in my opinion especially if your looking at Blitz, HKS ones which are near on 200quid.

Your choice though mate and you have to give it a go!
Old 25 March 2005, 10:06 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I don't know the 1st thing about the things and wouldn't bother with one myself, but I believe the best solution for you would be what's known as a hybrid DV. I think they recirc when changing at low revs (boost), and VTA at high revs. So your G/F pootling around and changing at 4k won't notice much, but as soon as you go out for a blat and start changing at 6k it'll pissssssshhhhhh all you want Don't ask me who makes or sells 'em though