Notices

Tek 3

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2005, 03:21 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Tek 3

Anyone in Nottingham had it done? Just about to book a slot to having it done on my MY00 UK. Over the years I have tried loads of things to keep me "interested" in the performance without spending a fortune. I had the car about 2 months and I changed the back box. New noise but not alot more shove to be fair. 1 month later the downpipe took a kicking. Loads more noise and yes I did notice a difference but it wasn't anywhere near what I expected. That's when I started learning to take some threads with a pinch of salt
I mentioned it on Scoobynet and the centre cat was blamed, so the next month, off that came. So where was this amazing spool up time and mid range torque. I entertained myself with the thought that at least the car sounded how i wanted it to and at the time it was still quite a rare thing to see on the roads.
A few months later, the OE panel filter came under attack, the ITG debate was raging strong as was the pro's and cons of removing your inner wing resonator.
I was advised to put an ITG in and remove the resonator (By a respected company ) I did it and guess what? Yep, loads more noise (Which was great by the way) but i beg to differ that it made ANY difference at all to the cars performance as far as ummph was concerned. (car ran fine for about 25,000 miles like that by the way)
So there I was, nearly £1k out of pocket (Yes exhausts used to cost alot more) and all I REALLY had was a car that was louder.
That taught me to listen to no-one remotely connected to selling stuff for my car about performance gains, I started listening to other drivers, not the money to burn herberts but folk who had spent their money and had nothing to loose by telling me it was a waste of money. Boy those conversations saved me a fortune
Then you start getting to learn about the engines and over the years I have learn't about Air Fuel Ratio's, Detonation (Not as scary as some will have you believe) MAF's, Induction Kits, Turbo's, FMIC's, Idle control Solenoids, Wastegates, Boost solenoids, ECU's, Exhaust effects, TMIC's, Airflow, fuel pumps etc etc etc The only thing i genuinley no NOTHING about is Suspension and that's only cos i've never needed to get involved in it.
I then did the unthinkable (in those days anyway ) I put a DAWES device on my car and WOW No wonder all the tuners were calling them dangerous and foolhardy.It made thier £500+ packages look stupid, indeed exposed them for the rip off some of them where. £30 got me a totally different car. Here was a device that gave me another 3 or 4 psi of boost over standard and the car felt like it flew. So much more than just changing the exhaust and filter. I didn't have a knock link or a bost gauge to start with and I loved the car. Just how I wanted it. I continued this for about 45-50,000 miles without a problem and I now figure that the girls getting a little bit older so a bit more care is required. Let's face it, it needs doing properly.
TEK 1 & 2 seem to be a waste of money, another throw back to yesteryear where people swore blind it was the best thing and you would gain 93.8% in power and then the TEK3 hit the shelves.
Touted as an acceptable ECU upgrade, not in the same league as the MoTECs and Links of this world but i'm not a rally or race driver so figured i'd not need to part with £1,500 & VAT for an ECU programme Especially after the Exhaust let down.
So who's had it done, can I get a go (You can have a blast in mine if you so desire and is it just hype or does it make a difference?

Sorry to go on and on, but i'm sure you see my point

Oh Anyone wanna buy a DAWES, £20 it's yours

Last edited by Gridlock Mikey; 22 March 2005 at 03:24 PM.
Old 22 March 2005, 10:11 PM
jb2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gridlock Mikey
.....and then it all went quiet Classic general thread

Sorry, do continue
sorry
Old 22 March 2005, 10:32 PM
Redevilwrx
Scooby Regular

Wink

There is a group buy or the Tek3 remap at scoobyclinic that i'm organising.

Give them a call on 01246 590807 for a tech chat

you never know you may wanna save a few £££ at the same time and join in.

ohh and your thread made a great read soooo true

Andy
Old 22 March 2005, 10:48 PM
darms
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have PM Mikey