Notices

DV on a standard 99 uk.. ???

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2005, 06:22 AM
GirlieTrucker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DV on a standard 99 uk.. ???

Would it make any noise at standard boost...???

I only ask cuz the whole engine is so quiet compared to my ol' cabby turbo, I wandered if there's enuf boost to actully 'chuff'...??

On that note, is it the standard filter keeping the whistles and chatter at bay, or are they quiet anyway..???

(The cabby would be audibly whistlin at 1800rpm, and get alot louder, and chatter from 2500rpm up.. and it was only running 8psi..!! (did have a V. short Samco and K&N cone on the T3 tho..))

Luv
Chrisie...
Old 14 March 2005, 06:34 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Nooooooooooooooooooooo, schtop!

Don't get a VTA dump valve for it. Do a search in this forum and you'll see why.

If you remove the airbox and fit a less restrictive induction kit then yes, you'll hear all sorts of fluttery noises from the turbo/wastegate. You should get a bit more power and/or better throttle response but it may make the MAF sensor read slightly off and hence let the engine run lean (and start detting). Safest to fit a knocklink before you start doing things like this, so you know what's happening in the engine.
Old 14 March 2005, 09:23 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

The My99-2000 has the weakest maf sensor of all scoobs. Fitting an induction kit is just asking for trouble (the extra vibration will shake the sensor to bits, motor will run lean ----- Bang!).
If you really want the 'ptsshhh', go ahead and fit a VTA dumpvalvesuch as Bailys. Wouldn't go for HKS due to hearing of some staying open when they should be shut!. Now I know some people on here will start to say 'NOOOOOO', but, its the lesser of two evils on your scoob my friend.

Last edited by Gear Head; 14 March 2005 at 09:26 AM.
Old 14 March 2005, 12:00 PM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
Wouldn't go for HKS due to hearing of some staying open when they should be shut!.
Where have you heard of this? AFAIK, it is impossible for the HKS to stay open due to its design (in fact, IIRC it was more likely the Blitz and Bailey items that have caused problems)? Not arguing, just wondered, as I am a sucker for manufacturers blurb - thought that due to the design, it was impossible for a HKS to leak at any point.

I have a Powerengineering power induction kit on my MY99 STi5 Type R, and it hasn;t caused any MAF problems in the year it has been on - the ITG panel filter I had before it buggered my MAF in 3000 miles - I dont think K&N based induiction kits are too bad as long as 1 - they are fitted VERY Securely (to stop the mAF shaking it's t!ts off), and 2 - they are not overoiled (to stop the oil coating the wire on the MAF).

Induction kits MUST make a difference as before I had one fitted, my car was running fine, and after it was fitted, I had boost creep as the breathing was increased to a point that the standard wastegate size was not big enough to bypass enough gas to stop the compressor creating more boost!
Old 14 March 2005, 12:48 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Heard it on here actually. People seem to have far less problems with the standard dump-valve. Trust me, I had a turbo xs vta. Got rid of it after two months due to it causing the car feel very jerky. And as for reducing turbo lag, what aload of b&llocks!!!
I have a power engineering induction kit aswell and have had no problems with it. However, I have a my98 sti 4, so my MAF is a bit more robust.
If you havn't had it re-mapped, you will be running lean!
Old 14 March 2005, 01:11 PM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

the car is mapped for optimax, and has knock link and AFR meter and running lean is not an issue (it is actually running too rich).
Never had any probs with the DV - I know they dont give any performance gain, and bugger up fuelling on lift-off etc, but I like the sound of the HKS, and as no-one has given me proof that it will cause lasting detrimental effects to my car - it will stay on! Can't say it was any more jerky after fittting the valve tbh.
Old 14 March 2005, 02:27 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

As yours is mapped then, no probs.
Old 14 March 2005, 02:41 PM
GirlieTrucker
Scooby Regular

Oh.. !!

So it's not gonna be that easy then.. !!!

Sounds more and more like I should leave it completely standard.. Can you not buy uprated MAF's that are more robust..???

Luv
Chrisie...
Old 14 March 2005, 03:44 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by GirlieTrucker
Oh.. !!

So it's not gonna be that easy then.. !!!

Sounds more and more like I should leave it completely standard.. Can you not buy uprated MAF's that are more robust..???

Luv
Chrisie...
Leave it as std m'dear, the std induction and DVs on Scoobies are fine. Fiddling here will offer very little gain, present significant problems for your MAF which could lead to a 4.5k Engine rebuild bill and -IMHO- making your car sound like "Daft Vader" is a bit naff! Short of replacing the ECU for one that doesn't take readings from a MAF there isn't much you can do about the std ones weakness. Just be aware of the symptoms of a MAF on its way out and treat it like a consumable at servicing and you should be fine.

Regards,

NS04
Old 14 March 2005, 03:52 PM
heple1983
Scooby Regular

You'll find that most people on here dont like atmospheric dump valves.

Its up to you whether you fit one or not at the end of the day it bottles down to personal preferences.

I have a bailey DV10 on my MY99 UK Turbo it makes a nice audiable sound. Gives no problems what so ever.

My cars running standard by the way.

I personally like them, but as others have said the original is very good at its job.

Last edited by heple1983; 14 March 2005 at 03:58 PM.
Old 14 March 2005, 08:50 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

I ran a Forge VTA on my MY99 for 50k miles without a problem. You can get different springs for the Forge to tune it so its not as jerky coming off throttle.

But I just used the standard filter so fueling wasn't really an issue, even with a 3" decat.

Dave.