something strange

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2005, 03:10 PM
scottystar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question something strange

this is weird but very worrying....

i jumped in me scoob this morning (mac dees run after night on the lash) got a little way down the road and the steering goes heavy and the battery light comes on, right the belts snapped obvious enough, so i wrestle it home not far thank god, park up pop the bonnet and the belts just laying there fallen off not snapped and in good nic?? so im thinking what the f*ck. anyway go in for a while and have some non hangover curing cereal, go back out and put the belt back on start it up and i notice the bottom pulley is moving all over the place, so take the belt off and low and behold the bottom pulley bolt is really loose. am i lucky to catch it or could some damage have been done already, how could this have happened and what torque does it need to be done up to?? also which belt runs the water pump??

thks
scott
Old 13 March 2005, 03:39 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI Scott, the cambelt runs the water pump, and hopefully you've not done any damage with the bolt being lose, so my advice would be, do it up fairly tight, i use the fifth gear and handbrake method to hold the crank still, and keep an eye on it!!
Old 13 March 2005, 03:52 PM
69WRX
Scooby Regular

This happened to me a few weeks back.
Chewed up the hole in the pulley to about twice the size it should be, so when tightened back up it did not run true.
Replaced it with a second hand one.
The torque setting is 130lb/ft. You can not get it to this just by putting in gear and holding the brake on, you run out of leverage room.
There are 4 holes in the pulley, I put bolts in 2 of them and wedged a crow bar between them. That was the only way I could get 130lb/ft

Andy
Old 13 March 2005, 06:50 PM
scottystar
Scooby Regular

thanks for the info guys

does the nut need any locking compund on it? what sort of deflection should the crank/alternator/power steering belt have on it longest run, dont wanna run it too tight?

thanks gents...
scott
Old 13 March 2005, 08:28 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the pulley off and check the end of the crank and key in it aren't damaged.
Also check (as above) the pulley keyway!

Subaru don't use any Locktight.
If you do yuse it and the pulle=y doesn't run true after you refit it, it'll be a bugger to get off

I usually tighten the belt so there is about 10mm play in the belt on the longest run