Notices

White steam from the exhaust, misfire & petrol smell in header tank?

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2005, 10:14 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy White steam from the exhaust, misfire & petrol smell in header tank?

Not a scoob but technical related

My sisters Primera gt started to misfire and overheat yesterday and had no water in it.

I had a look at it earlier and it was switching between 3 and 4 cylinders and smoking (well I thought it was smoke ) When I looked at it this evening I noticed that plug number 4 was wet but I thought it was flooding up because of the dizzy cap being worn but the steam out of the exhaust smells like coolant Just to reasure myself I took the lid off of the header tank and that had an incredibly strong smell if fuel That's the head gasket gone isn't it? God knows why it went, maybe it got a hole in the rad then ran out of water and overheated or it did the water through the bores but I don't know.

When the car runs it's only on 3 now and the smoke/steam from the exhaust is so bad the car's not driveable
Old 13 March 2005, 09:11 AM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything you mentioned points towards the head gasket being blown, pull the dipstick out and check for milky deposits as this is a good way of being totally sure, if there is no milky deposits it *may* not be the head gasket and...... it all depends if the gasket has blown between the oil feed ports and the coolant ports and or the cylinders

AP
Old 13 March 2005, 10:16 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thought so. I didn't check the dipstick but the filler cap had a milky grey oil on it but it wasn't like mayo like you'd expect.