Notices

Alarm pip when starting on MY03 STi

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2005, 10:38 AM
Mr Pants!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm pip when starting on MY03 STi

Now I know this has been posted up several times, I am struggling with search to find the actual cause.

I started the car this morning and got one clear pip from the alarm as I turned over the engine.

1. Can I expect my alarm to start going off now?

2. What is the cause of the problem?

3. Will it get worse?

My car starts fine, turns over fine, I always have my side lights on, I remember something on here about the intelligent Alternator and by leaving your lights on helps or something.

Any help would be appreciated and sorry for the repitition of this post.
Old 03 March 2005, 11:47 AM
mmmiddy
Scooby Regular

Mine's been doing this lately too. MY01 WRX

I just put it down to the cold weather, or maybe the battery is on it's way out?
Old 03 March 2005, 12:05 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

It's the battery dying.

Had this for ages before I finally put a new one in - never had it again.
Old 03 March 2005, 12:50 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by messiah
It's the battery dying.

Had this for ages before I finally put a new one in - never had it again.
Ditto - mine started bipping just in cold weather, then went away, gradually got to do it every time I started the car. A new battery and it stopped - battery lasted 2-3 years before it was changed I think. That was a classic, I think the newer Sti's are mor prone to battery problems according to threads on here. So in answer to your Q's yes it will probably get worse but slowly - you may find it takes a few more turns on starter before the engine fires up. No probably wont have any problem with the alarm siren going off. The actual cause is the voltage dropping below what the alarm is happy with but still enough to start the car.

Last edited by Boost II; 03 March 2005 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03 March 2005, 01:30 PM
Mr Pants!
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, very helpful.

I wonder if my battery is a sealed one, perhaps it needs more water?
Old 03 March 2005, 02:34 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Mine's a classic, swapped the battery back in September and I've not heard a "bleep" since.

I thought it may have just been the car not getting a decent run - I was only doing 10 miles to work and back a day. Went on a 160 mile round trip to Newcastle and back which sorted the problem for about 2 days. Had battery checked out and it was on its way out. Could have been worse - it might have been the alternator.
Old 03 March 2005, 03:14 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As it's an 03 I doubt very much if the battery is actually dying, it's just somewhat discharged. This is quite common on STis of this period, it's happened to me and my son (both have 03 STi's) The discharge from the Tracker and other "always live" systems plus short journeys takes its toll. We both had larger capacity batteries fitted under warrenty which "almost" cures the problem. I now use an "Accumate" battery conditioner if I leave the car for a few days without use.
JohnD
Old 03 March 2005, 03:56 PM
Mr Pants!
Scooby Regular

Thanks JohnD.

I just spoke to SGT, who as usual are extremely helpful! I almost feel I could call that garage, explain I want a new car and they would give you one! LOL

Well not quite, but they have no problems helping me out with my battery for free. So I am going to see them next week for a replacement.
Old 04 March 2005, 04:47 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

As stated earlier, battery problems on new-age cars are common and seems to have been isolated down to the "smart" alternator not noticing the minute draw from the Tracker. Once a battery has been depleted to the point where the Sigma alarm notices, it really is too late and a new battery will be required sooner or later. There are two cures for the problem. One is to keep your sidelights on (easy as they come on with the ignition and the parking light is on a separate switch) as this creates enough draw for the not-so-smart alternator to see. The other is to have the chip on the Tracker modified to reduce the amount of time it stays active after the car has been parked. My battery went in May last year and I have had the sidelights on since with no further issues, similar to many of my friends whom have amost all experienced the same problems.
Old 15 May 2005, 05:21 PM
Dave Hughes
Scooby Regular

Many thanks too all who have posted on this issue.

Found my car dead as a dodo this morning. Jump started it to see 12.4V from the alternator at idle....was panicking thinking alternator was shot, dealer visit...hassle etc etc.

Quick mooch on here......

Side lights switched on...13.9V

15 minute drive... Job done

Well in SN

Dave Hughes