Site of Intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2005, 07:48 PM
kenny c
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Site of Intercooler?

Dear All,

Hi, My name is Kenny, a newbie from the North East. I used to own an Audi TT (chipped to 270BHP) but realised it wasn't a proper driving car (who was I kidding?) after 16 months of ownership.

Hence, sold the car and bought a Subaru STI PPP in November 2004 ( GF was fuming mad!!!). Needless to say, I am very happy with the car.

I came across an article yesterday - citing that an intercooler should not be in the engine bay, especially if the car is turbocharged ( interestingly, they used a picture of the STI's engine bay !)

I have come across a few STI's, especially in South East Asia, where the intercooler has been moved to the front, similar to an EVO's intercooler arrangement.

What does everyone think?
Old 25 February 2005, 08:17 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

argueably the front is the best place for it.....but the design of the subaru engine is very different to almost any other car....hence the reason the intercooler is on the top.

Front mounted intercoolers will reduce "heatsoak" where the engine heats the intercooler so that it cannot do its job properly....this happens when the car is stationary in traffic for example.

A frontmount will reduce that a hell of a lot.
Old 25 February 2005, 09:35 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kenny c
Dear All,

Hi, My name is Kenny, a newbie from the North East. I used to own an Audi TT (chipped to 270BHP) but realised it wasn't a proper driving car (who was I kidding?) after 16 months of ownership.

Hence, sold the car and bought a Subaru STI PPP in November 2004 ( GF was fuming mad!!!). Needless to say, I am very happy with the car.

I came across an article yesterday - citing that an intercooler should not be in the engine bay, especially if the car is turbocharged ( interestingly, they used a picture of the STI's engine bay !)

I have come across a few STI's, especially in South East Asia, where the intercooler has been moved to the front, similar to an EVO's intercooler arrangement.

What does everyone think?
Oma completely different note come join us here and have a look at http://www.tyneteesscoobies.com/
Old 26 February 2005, 10:17 AM
jb2000
Scooby Regular

As the car was designed with a top mount there are no major problems, now if you want to take it on track days then that is a totally different ball game and a front mount would be a bettter option