Notices

maf sensor probs please help !!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2005, 09:24 AM
imprezyou
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy maf sensor probs please help !!!!!!!!!

hi guys can anyone help me please, the car was running great until monday full service history none missed, i will start with wats fitted to the car.............ecutek remap....hks super power flow induction kit.....hks fmic.....bailey dump valve.....standard turbo boosting at 1.2 in 5th gear...magnex full decat...standard headers...ecutek data monitor...

It first started on thursday after a service i gave it some welly and the car seemed to just miss whilst i put me foot down, then it seemed to be running as if it was missing,after a peek under the bonnet i noticed that a spark plug cap was loose so i popped it back on and then that sorted the problem til monday.......there i was pulling onto the motorway i gave it some welly 1st 2nd 3rd 4th bang it nearly threw me threw the windscreen no power and i rolled over to the hard shoulder, check engine light up. The car started and went into limp mode so i limped home, at the garadge the mechanic tried to reset the ecu but the fault came back up but no fault codes on my ecutek monitor, he then told me it was the maf sensor as the voltage reading when it was running was very low and it wasnt allowing in any air, so we fitted another maf sensor brand new out the box the fault cleared and she was running great again.......until i gave it some welly again the next day......bang she went again excatly as before...same problem maf sensor. Anyone got any ideas coz its costing me 80 quid a sensor which aint no fun......the am reading is 16 and theres no knock correction when driving so i dont think its a detenation problem. Any clues would help please
Old 17 February 2005, 12:11 PM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

Take of the HKS filter - they are known to cause MAF failures (also, there filtering abilities aren't too good!
Old 17 February 2005, 12:40 PM
cookwibble
Scooby Regular

similar thing happened to me, the one of the little metal rings on a sprk plug was cracked and the cylinder was losing compression and blowing the spark into the cap which then came lose.
Old 17 February 2005, 08:32 PM
imprezyou
Scooby Regular

could it be that the fmic return pipe runs over the sensor housing and not underneath it as some that i have seen in pics,could it be that the hot return pipe is causing the prob?
Old 18 February 2005, 05:54 PM
Karlos102
Scooby Regular

Question backfire ?

Also backfire can also damage the MAF ..seems funny how this has all happened since service been done..have they gapped the plugs right ? worth checking just incase gap too big and when u give it welly it blows spark out ,then bakfires and blows MAF .
Old 18 February 2005, 05:58 PM
Karlos102
Scooby Regular

Smile fine before servicing ?

Also why would airfilter cause a problem now when it was fine before servicing ? only thing should of changed is the plugs so seem like that might be problem .
Old 19 February 2005, 08:58 AM
imprezyou
Scooby Regular

cheers karlos, its still at the garadge so i`m guna call them in a mo and ask them to check that. cheers
Old 19 February 2005, 01:03 PM
Karlos102
Scooby Regular

Smile good

Lets hope they sort it out asap...but does seem funny how its been ok till you had it serviced...keep me informed ..
Originally Posted by imprezyou
cheers karlos, its still at the garadge so i`m guna call them in a mo and ask them to check that. cheers
Old 19 February 2005, 06:58 PM
imprezyou
Scooby Regular

Wel shes back from the garadge today, tell me if i`m wrong coz i know very very little about these cars but i was told by the garage today that she was over boosting on a very worn clutch.......... which i hasen to say has cover 120k todate and the original one. Also there was a very worn plug lead. Remembering back a few weeks ago the clutch had on 2 occassions slipped whilst moving safley and very swifly onto the motorway. Tell me yours views. So i`ve had to book it in for next week for a £750 clutch refitt.
Old 19 February 2005, 07:44 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imprezyou
she was over boosting(
the symptoms you describe in your first post sound like fuel cut. do you have a boost gauge fitted, and have you seen higher than normal boost when it happens?

what model year is the car?

simon

ps what clutch are they fitting for that price? I'd expect it to be gold plated.

Last edited by RRH; 19 February 2005 at 07:46 PM.
Old 20 February 2005, 07:41 AM
imprezyou
Scooby Regular

she was boosting after the remap 1.25 but she then began to boost only in 5th 1.46-1.50 all other gears she was boosting at 1.23-1.25
The clutch in question thats being fitted is ap racing organic clutch.........is this to expensive?
Old 20 February 2005, 11:56 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

The AP racing organic is not a cheap clutch, so maybe not so bad after all.