Notices

Help! Honest Opinions needed, Scooby Dilemma...

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2005, 09:16 AM
*Jen*
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help! Honest Opinions needed, Scooby Dilemma...

Hello all,

As some of you may know, I used to be heavily into the Scooby Scene (despite my new login saying otherwise ) and had to sell my lovely Scoob due to a split with my ex

As of yesterday an opportunity has potentially be opened to me. 2 doors down from my house a neighbour got a Scoob a couple of days ago, but now it turns out the buggy won't fit in the back and his missus is demanding another vehicle. Martin knows us quite well and when he got the Scoob we had long discussions about it and had a look over it etc. So the offer as of yesterday was to swap my Land Rover Disco with his Scoob.

The Scoob is on an 'L' plate, WRX, Clock and paper work reads 43,000 miles (? Could be I supose). The Scoob is quite heavily modded, FMIC with Samco hoses etc. Different springs, 17" Prodrive Wheels, Drilled/Grooved disks, Prodrive interior (very nice) incl. Mats/gear **** etc. Boost Gauge, Straight through exhaust (unknown origin), Cone air filter, serious stereo equipment (not that that affects the car, but it's quite cool ). - sorry I havn't got many more details but I only had a quick look in the dark!

HOWEVER, there's a couple of issues that are bugging me:

* No 5th Gear, all the other gears are fine, quick chat with Len at Subaru 4 You (I recommended him to Martin) suggested it maybe as simple as a nut, but obviously he can't tell without looking at the car.

* Martin claims he was told it was never re-mapped... Would the FMIC cause a problem with this? I'm also concerned about it being run on lower octane fuel. The enthusiast who fitted the intercooler probably knew it needed 100, Martin's running it on Optimax, but I'm unsure about the guy in the middle (he had the car for 4 months). (no Knocklink)

* Leaking power steering fluid, although this is looking like it just needs a replacement cap, it's not leaking from any hoses.

And obviously insurance is going to be a big cost.

My Landy is a N plate, just had alot of work done by me and some trusted friends: New Fuel pump, injectors, radiator, UJ's, Wheelbearings etc and is unlikley to cause me many problems in the near future, or any I can't fix myself anyway! Probably worth between £4500 - 5000.

My priority atm is saving for a 6 month trip to America, so I need to have a reliable car that isn't going to cost me alot in repairs.

So now you have the whole story (sorry about the long post!) ...please talk me out of doing something stupid, I'm desparate to get into a Scoob again!

(I'd really apprieciate your honest opinions.)

Thanks

Jen
Old 09 February 2005, 09:32 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Talking

So the guy has lost 5th gear, and done nothing about it?

He asked if it was remapped, to which he was told it wasn't. Tells me he knows that with a FMIC it needs a remap. What has he done? Nothing. Not even using Octane booster.

43k, needs the cambelt done too.

I'd steer clear IMO

You've just got the landy running right and have 6 months trip to pay for. I'd run the landy till your trip, sell before you leave and let that money go towards your next sccoob upon your return. Sounds like a plan to me

Or of course you could buy the scoob on a whim, I've done that LOL
Old 09 February 2005, 10:18 AM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Run for the hills...
Old 09 February 2005, 10:48 AM
Shimy Type R
Scooby Regular

Personaly id leave it to be honest!

Youd be better off selling the land rover and going out there and buying a scooby.

I definetly wouldnt give 4500-5000 grand on a L plate scooby.

Id be wanting cash off him with his car for the land rover!

I sold a realy clean silver L reg scoob 4 months ago for 4200, with mods and tracker, and it didnt go very quickly.

Stick with the land rover or sell it and go scooby hunting

Good luck mate.

Shimy.
Old 09 February 2005, 12:12 PM
*Jen*
Scooby Regular

Thanks all

This is what I've been thinking, just need someone else to tell me!! Reading it back it does seem quite obvious really.

You've just got the landy running right and have 6 months trip to pay for. I'd run the landy till your trip, sell before you leave and let that money go towards your next sccoob upon your return. Sounds like a plan to me
Yeah - this was my grand plan before this happened I've seen some really clean examples over the past couple of months (keeping my eyes out ) which would suit me better and have a better (more solid) history...

Or of course you could buy the scoob on a whim, I've done that LOL
lol! SOoooooooooooooo tempting!

No, you're right... I just go all weak-willed when I hear that Scooby burble coming to the close. Must buy ear plugs.

Thanks all, you've probably just saved me a fortune!

Jen
Old 09 February 2005, 01:10 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

or......

nadgers to all the above.
beat him down in price, yes.
maybe get a grand out of him and that will pay for a new box twice over.
trade the front mount in for an sti tmic and that will get you a few more hundrer quid.

theres plenty of us down here that would chip in with parts/labout/lack of knowledge.

its all well and good selling the landy later to buy a scoob but with this youve got no selling hassles........
Old 09 February 2005, 01:30 PM
*Jen*
Scooby Regular

Andy

You're really annoying Yeah, there are some advantages to it, but having had another skim around the autotrader/importers websites looks like I could get something similar without the problems for about the same price.

Probably won't be too much of a problem selling the Landy with the club contacts I've got on that side of things... lots of people seem to want a Disco with the off-roading mods, so I'm hoping that's true when I come to do it.

If I'm honest I get a nasty feeling about this WRX...just to many unanswerable questions and insurance issues Last thing I want to do is *finally* get another Scoob and then be worrying about it!

Going to take alot of willpower, but I think I'm going to aviod this one. Although you are lovely for offering help

Jen
Old 09 February 2005, 02:11 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try this...

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...4&page=1&pp=20

He is open to offers...

Less chance of it breaking down on you..
Old 09 February 2005, 02:46 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Cool

LOL in that case, try this

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=393310

Old 09 February 2005, 08:49 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

for sale..

crash damaged stealth scoob..

dont do it..... your trip of a lifetime is more important!!!

Mart
Old 09 February 2005, 11:24 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jen,
I agree with Jay completely

The Disco's doing fine, is cheaper to run and insure!!!
Keep it until your back from the States and then go all out Scoob hunting
Look at lots of cars and find the best , not the most convinient!!
Old 10 February 2005, 09:26 AM
*Jen*
Scooby Regular

Sam and Jay - thanks for the tips ...love the graphics etc. on the black one and I have always wanted a wagon...but that's Keith (Krud's) fault, I think he's done a fantastic job of his!

Will take Dyney's advice, think I'll keep the Landy until I return from the States/Canada - this trip has to be the priority I think (blimey. Never thought I had this much will power! ).

Look at lots of cars and find the best , not the most convinient!!
... < sigh > ...why do you pick this thread to be all sensible on?!

And Mart - no, your not parting with your Scoob, he'll be back and repaired before you know it!

Thanks guys,

Jen