Notices

Forester engine question.

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2005, 08:13 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forester engine question.

I'm thinking of getting a Forester in a couple of months but i'm not sure whether i should go for the 2.0 or the 2.5 model.

I'm trading in from a WR1 and would like to do something to the Forester to increase the engines output a little. I was thinking about a decat and remap but am happy to be guided by those who know their stuff!

So my question is really which of the 2 engines would be the better one to go for with the above in mind?

Chris
Old 05 February 2005, 08:23 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

the main problem with these is the suspension/roll bar spec.............would be looking at these first (and brakes) before you go down the 'power' route...............

alyn
Old 05 February 2005, 09:47 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stockcar
the main problem with these is the suspension/roll bar spec.............would be looking at these first (and brakes) before you go down the 'power' route...............

alyn
Good thinking, i'll post a query in "suspension", unless anyone has any thoughts about what to do to those bits here?
Old 05 February 2005, 10:20 PM
Engineer@Uni
Scooby Regular

I absolutely agree with stockcar. The issue with the Forester is it's height and suspension setup. Going overboard on power will make them dangerous in my ippinion, as their cornering abilities are a lot different to imprezas. Their increased mass means slower reactions and less agility, as well as risk of them flipping over. If I were you, I'd get the car first and after a good few months of readjusting to it, see which area needs attention first.
Old 05 February 2005, 10:55 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Engineer@Uni
I absolutely agree with stockcar. The issue with the Forester is it's height and suspension setup. Going overboard on power will make them dangerous in my ippinion, as their cornering abilities are a lot different to imprezas. Their increased mass means slower reactions and less agility, as well as risk of them flipping over. If I were you, I'd get the car first and after a good few months of readjusting to it, see which area needs attention first.
Thanks. I'm not thinking of going overboarded on the mods, only about 250-270 bhp (ish) although may leave standard. Really wondered which would be the better engine to void the warranty on if i do tune it?
Old 06 February 2005, 05:26 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Anymore thoughts on the better engine to go for anyone?
Old 07 February 2005, 11:19 AM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

If you have the ££ then the 2.5 - but then you'll want to keep the warranty ( as it would be new ). Import STi like Mog's (from Ian Lit ) is what I would have given the money ( also means 6spd )

250-270 is still relatively easy on the 2.0 btw , but you it's easiest to start from a MY99+ JDM rather than UK model as the turbos are different.

Wheels / rubber / Suspension / Brakes need sorting before you go too mad, then a decat & map.

Upgrade path goes something like ...

17's , lower profile rubber , 18-22mm rear arb , F&R droplinks , springs ( or springs & struts ), uprated pads or 4pot swap , decat , power FC or Ecutek remap.

Cheers
Steve

www.subaruforester.com
Old 13 February 2005, 07:44 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that. I've now registered on the Forester website.
Old 14 February 2005, 09:37 AM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Engineer@Uni
dangerous in my ippinion, as their cornering abilities are a lot different to imprezas. Their increased mass means slower reactions and less agility
Not as much as you would think