Notices

Small white bit on Oil Stick

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2005, 11:04 AM
SB555
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small white bit on Oil Stick

Hiya, just recently bought a sti3 and when checking the oil last night I noticed a small bit of white fluid in the oil off the dipstick. I have checked it a few times over the past few weeks and its the first time i have seen this.

I did the expansion tank test but after a drive, the coolant does not bubble at all and the temp is staying the same.

I have checked the oil cap and there are no traces of white stuff on the inside of that.

What do you think this could be?

Cheers
Old 03 February 2005, 11:39 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be a bit of moisture if the car has been stood about at a garage or if it has been used for short journeys.
Old 03 February 2005, 11:41 AM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by SB555
Hiya, just recently bought a sti3 and when checking the oil last night I noticed a small bit of white fluid in the oil off the dipstick. I have checked it a few times over the past few weeks and its the first time i have seen this.

I did the expansion tank test but after a drive, the coolant does not bubble at all and the temp is staying the same.

I have checked the oil cap and there are no traces of white stuff on the inside of that.

What do you think this could be?

Cheers
Could just be condensation. Take car for a long run and check it once you've given the car a proper warm through
Old 03 February 2005, 11:51 AM
SB555
Scooby Newbie

Well the car only arrived form Japan about 3 weeks ago so would have been idle for a long time and in the last 3 weeks its only got about 3 or 4 three mile. Tuesday night I took it for a 3 mile spin and checked it last night and that is when I sae the white bit.
It was been just parked in the garage most of the time. Thanks lads and what ye say makes sense all right.
This might sound a bit stupid but how would condensation get into the oil?
If anyone else thinks any differently, please let me know.
Cheers.
Old 03 February 2005, 06:48 PM
Engineer@Uni
Scooby Regular

Only way I'm aware of condensation contaminating oil, is through a broken head where the coolant mixes with the oil. You obviously don't suffer from that. It does sound like moisture contamination, but I haven't got the foggiest how... Best change oil and check again in a couple hundred miles to see if it's contaminated again.
Old 03 February 2005, 06:55 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

This used to be a problem some years ago when oils were not so good and the crankcase scavenging systems were less efficient. It is very rare these days, even in a car used for short journeys.
The problem is that the oil is not reaching it's optimum operating temperature and therefore not ridding itself of the moisture contamination. A considerable amount of water is produced as a by-product of combustion, there is also a certain amount of blow-by past the pistons, especially when the engine is cold, so the oil becomes contaminated with this water. On a three mile trip the oil is probably only JUST reaching a reasonable working temp. It needs to reach that temp. and be there for a fair while to purge itself of the water. An analysis of your oil would frighten you in terms of the contamination and shift in viscosity!
If the car was mine, and considering that it has just come from Japan, I would go for a 50 mile drive then immediatly change the oil and filter, and if the majority of your journeys are short, do this every 3-4000miles
JohnD
Old 04 February 2005, 01:45 PM
SB555
Scooby Newbie

Thanks lads,

John,

"An analysis of your oil would frighten you in terms of the contamination and shift in viscosity!"

Do you mean this as a general comment on oil or specific to my car going on what I have wrote.

I got the oil changed at the main dealer about 2 weeks ago. Would you still suggest that I change the oil?

Do you think this is normal enough so considering the little use the car has had over the past few months and the short spins or is there something specifically wrong with my car do you think.

Thank you for your help in advance.
Old 04 February 2005, 02:26 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Re-your points above
1) Oil in general but more so in cars used for short trips.
2) In a modern engine with the sophisticated breater system, I'm a little surprised you have a problem after such a short time following an oil change, although the goo may have been there before the change? If emulsified oil appears, the dipstick tube is a common place for it to form.
3) Try cleaning as much of it away as you can then take the car for a good long run to bring everything to full working temp., then keep an eye on it for a few weeks. If the car feels ok I doubt if you have a problem
JohnD
Old 04 February 2005, 03:30 PM
SB555
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for your reply John,

It was a very small bit to be honest and it wasn't even goo like but I noticed it all the same. Glad I asked now just to be sure. It was the only time I seen it and I took it for a 60 mile trip today and it seemed fine.

Thanks again.