Advise PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2005, 10:35 PM
zoomin
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise PLEASE!!!

Hi All,
I have recently purchased a 1997 wrx, which was running fine until friday.
It stalled at a set of traffic lights but re started and ran fine after, for a while.Then when you came to a stop it almost stalled and the revs dropped to about 300rpm and idled very lumpy/hunting. At first this only occured when cold-warming up. But by saturday it was doing it when warm aswell. Saturday afternoon i added 150ml of silkolene pro boost i purchased from Scoobyclinic to a full tank of fuel (optimax always used, by me and the last owner). Monday night after finishing work it was idling (waiting for it to warm up) and it revved to approx 1300rpm and then idled normally. Last night i read alot of postings about the Mafs (what does this stand for?) and plugs and coil packs and decided to leave the car at home today "just incase".
Started it up tonight and it just won't run. She fires up and then just cuts out!
It hasn't really mis fired, just very lumpy and stalling and now not running???
I also noticed tonight that the Greddy boost gauge that is fitted was revving backwards.. The car is fitted with.............
An Apexi power fc i think! it has the commander in the car so i assume the ECU is an apexi one.
Original airbox with an ????????? mesh type air filter.
Stainless back box and centre section.
Greddy boost gauge.
I was told by the last owner the ECU was fitted and mapped in the uk (but who knows) I also have the original ECU.
I have checked the leads are on properly and no pipework has come adrift, but due to it being dark have had little chance to do much else.
ANY ADVISE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
Can the Apexi ECU be re set like the normal ones or will it bugger the settings up??

CHEERS!!

Last edited by zoomin; 02 February 2005 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03 February 2005, 06:51 PM
zoomin
Scooby Newbie

No one got any ideas then??
Old 03 February 2005, 07:17 PM
Bottomfeeder
Scooby Regular

Post Hmmmmmmm

Lumpy idle, turns into non-starter........

Well, If it were mine, first thing I would do is try and find someone who would let me try the MAF from their car.

MAF = Mass Airflow Meter

If it's fooked your car won't run.
Old 03 February 2005, 08:02 PM
zoomin
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Bottomfeeder
Lumpy idle, turns into non-starter........

Well, If it were mine, first thing I would do is try and find someone who would let me try the MAF from their car.

MAF = Mass Airflow Meter

If it's fooked your car won't run.
Cheers for that, i will go out and buy one i think.At least that way i will be able to illiminate that, and it will be something i won't have to replace down the line!
Will a subaru dealer be able to supply one? or is it best to go to somewhere like scoobyclinic?
Thanks for your reply.
Old 03 February 2005, 10:25 PM
zoomin
Scooby Newbie

Disconnected the maf connector while the engine was running (lumpily) and the car stalled straight away. So i assume this is not the problem.
Might be nothing but with it being dark i could see arcing on the coil? (the bit the leads go to) which got brighter as it was almost stalling. This was happening down both sides of the "coil"
Not being you typical type coil, is this usual??
Even if i knew a local garage, it would be a b*stard getting it there and i don't know what damage i might be doing driving it there......

Cheers
Old 03 February 2005, 10:35 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Will it start if you crank it with the throttle part open (and run like that)? If so, I'd suspect the IACV (idle air control valve).
Old 03 February 2005, 10:44 PM
zoomin
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by dr_ming
Will it start if you crank it with the throttle part open (and run like that)? If so, I'd suspect the IACV (idle air control valve).
Yes, it does start if you just put a little throttle in. But you have to just hold it at about 950rpm or it stalls. Then sometimes it will run for a minute or two before it gets lumpy again and stalls.
Old 03 February 2005, 10:48 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Then I'd put my money on the IACV. Check out this thread on how to find/clean it:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=398765

It would also explain why your boost gauge goes backwards. If you crank the engine with the throttle closed, and the IACV is closed (because it is broken and/or full of cr@p), then you will get a substantial vacuum in the inlet manifold - negative boost, if you like.

Last edited by dr_ming; 03 February 2005 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03 February 2005, 11:14 PM
zoomin
Scooby Newbie

Thank you dr ming!
I shall give that a bash on saturday and keep my fingers crossed whilst doing so.
Top Man!!!
Its all a bit different from my Offroad Land Rover Discovery!!!! (diesel)

Cheers