Notices

DET DET DET AND MORE DET. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2005, 11:52 PM
Nick_o_Teen
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy DET DET DET AND MORE DET. HELP!

HI folks had the car for 6 months but been having a serious det problem ever since I bought it. I could here it pinking quite allot when I floored it, so I fitted a knocklink and now I get the red light easily all the time apart from when just cruising. If I'm doing say 40 mph in 3rd at 3500 rpm then boot it, red light goes on, into 4th red light on again and so on. I can't drive it hard at all with out getting the dreaded red light and the noise that sounds like pinking its cracking me up.
the car is a 1995 wrx sti type ra v2. runs on optimax, It has a scott t 28 pin scoobyecu chip (15.5psi boost) in the 275bhp 7K ecu, hks suction kit, new NGK 7s plugs, new maf, new coil packs, standard downpipe, decat center and jap box plus a blitz dual spec r boost controller but that's set at 16psi. I also built an alloy air box to enclose the filter and now it gets cold air in from the front of the bumper, hoping that would keep the induction temp down a bit but that didn't help either. I know the obvious is to get a power fc but haven't got that kind of cash at the mo as now got another mouth to feed, all the money seems to go on nappies.
As I'm getting that much det all the time could it possibly be fuel starvation?
What about my scoobyecu chip is there a different map for the sti ra?
Is it possible that someone in Japan could have done a remap of some kind, or are the early ecu's not remapable?
Don't now what to do next..........HELP..............
Old 02 February 2005, 09:54 AM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

Reading your thread, the first thing that springs to mind is FUEL PUMP.

It could be something else altogether, but IMHO it's worth checking your fuel pressure, and substituting your pump with a known good one.

Richard
Old 02 February 2005, 03:53 PM
Nick_o_Teen
Scooby Regular

cheers Richard, anyone else got any ideas!
Old 02 February 2005, 04:52 PM
JDM_Wrx
Scooby Regular

what fuel do u run it on? i had similar problems and the way i cured them was to use octane booster with optimax and upgrade the standard fuel pump and regulator with a walbro pump and a performance sx fuel reg. this was an instant cure for me but i'm not knowledgable enough to comment any further.

cheers rob
Old 02 February 2005, 07:21 PM
Nick_o_Teen
Scooby Regular

Cheers Rob, it runs on optimax and sometimes su if i can't get opti, but it makes no difference even with millers oc boost, as i said it runs a scoobyecu, I thought these chips are mapped for uk 97 ron fuel anyway. Will get a new fuel pump and fuel pres reg, what pressure should the reg be set at for a sti and how do you set it do I have to get a fuel pres gauge?
Old 02 February 2005, 07:30 PM
JDM_Wrx
Scooby Regular

most scoobyecus are set for uk fuel, but it won't hurt to have the best quality fuel u can get. as for fuel pressure u will need gauge but if u pm MEF on here i think he will do u a deal on everything u need. fuel pressure should be set to 3.2 bar atmospheric pressure (vacum pipe discounted).

i would recommend a performance sx reg and walbro pump. i have these and as i have already said, they sorted me out a treat.

i sure someone will correct me if thats wrong...

rob

Last edited by JDM_Wrx; 02 February 2005 at 07:32 PM.