Notices

How to empty fuel tank via. engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2005, 04:11 PM
STI5300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to empty fuel tank via. engine bay

Hello again, I am trying to empty the fuel tank by pulling off the fuel filter inlet pipe and diverting it into a Jerry Can. Good idea but it won't work, is there a sensor after the filter which is possibly preventing the fuel pump from running therefore emptying the tank ?
Thanks in Advance
Old 22 January 2005, 04:42 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STI5300
Hello again, I am trying to empty the fuel tank by pulling off the fuel filter inlet pipe and diverting it into a Jerry Can. Good idea but it won't work, is there a sensor after the filter which is possibly preventing the fuel pump from running therefore emptying the tank ?
Thanks in Advance
The fuel pump only primes for several seconds when the ignition is switched on,It then doesnt run until the engine is running. If you want to pump fuel from the car you need a seperate pump or to put a direct feed (VIA A FUSE) from the battery to the fuel pump.
Old 22 January 2005, 07:19 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

Talking

If you're brave (or crazy ) you can connect a hose to the fuel return line (it goes round in a big cirlce and goes back to the fuel tank) then start the car and leave it idling whilst the fuel tank is gradually drained.

Failing that keep turning your ignition off and on, it's a slow process doing it that way but it can be done. (don't forget your imobiliser will probably cut the voltage to the fuel pump).

Disclaimer: If you're stupid enough to listen to me and set fire to your car you only have yourself to blame
Old 22 January 2005, 07:24 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

Talking

Actually, I'll tell you a funny story ....

.... when I woz a kiddy I fitted a set of Weber carbs to my my Mini. After fitting them the car wouldn't run properly and just kept back firing out of it's intake. For some reason I decided to take the top of the float chamber and check that there was fuel etc in there. The float chamber was right next to the intake ......

.... I got in the car and cranked her over again ....... from the corner of my eye I noticed whisps of yellow licking round the edge of the bonnet