Notices

Help me setup my boost

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2005, 10:55 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Help me setup my boost

Okay…I know I have asked this before..but I still need help…

I have a AVC-r to control the boost…

I am trying to run 1.4 bar dropping to 1.3bar at 5500rpm, and trying to get the best possible results as I can..and am hoping someone here can help or point me in the correct direction..

CURRENT SETUP:

Boost:
3000rpm – 5000rpm 1.4bar
5500rpm – 7000rpm 1.3bar

Duty:
68%

Start Duty:
1st: 10
2nd: 5
3rd: 1
4th: 0
5th: 0

Self Learn
Disabled for all gears

Can someone please advise, how can I achieve the most from a setup, shall I have a higher duty to start in the rev range then lower say towards 5000rpm or the other way around…

Anyway hope I have not confused you..
Old 06 January 2005, 11:34 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was working when you left me, with the duty cycle tailored accross the RPM range.

I would change the boost profile so you don't have a sudden 0.1bar drop. So either Drop 5000 to 1.35 bar or raise 5500 to 1.35.

Enable the self learn for 4th and 5th gear.

Your exact duty cycle is specific to your setup. From memory to hold 1.2 bar we had to increase the duty cycle with increasing RPM. But at 1.4 bar this wasn't so necessary. Leave it at 68% flat and do a pull in 4th gear from about 2000rpm a few times to get the self learning working.

What is the FB (Feedback speed) for the gears? With your turbo I think 6-7 in the lower gears and 6 in 4th and 5th worked quite well. If it's unstable, or leads to spikes in the duty cycle as a result of the self learn, drop it by one.
Old 06 January 2005, 02:34 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paul,

Correct me if i am wrong in thinking this:

The higer the Boost duty, the quicker the Turbo will spool up?

I feel that if i set the duty to for say 68% flat throught the RPM the car feels slower then if i increase it near 3500rpm and then drop it down..

From the setting that you originally set, which i do use unless i am palying around with setting B, i have noticed that sometimes my boost reaches up to 1.44bar..am i ok with this..or shall i be thinking of reducing some numbers somewhere.?

Sam
Old 07 January 2005, 10:50 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can raise the duty cycle low down to help spoolup, but it will likely promote overboost as your turbo can spool up under 3000rpm, so you can experiment but be careful. You may find that it's okay in the lower gears but gives overboost quite badly in 5th gear, and the 1.44bar you report may be due to this type of setup.

The AVCR will give max duty cycle at full throttle anway up to 2500rpm I think, then it will switch to the duty cycle map plus an amount of correction.

If you change the monitor mode of the AVCR to trace boost with revs (select the monitor option below "4channel"), by pressing "next" button (the bottom right one anyway) you can cycle through single dot, 10 dot trail and complete trail. The last option will give you a boost vs RPM curve that you can use to measure the the boost response.

Also play around with the FB speed to see if you can get slightly bette spoolup without making it unstable. I would also look at increasing the gear dependant duty cycle for 3rd gear, and maybe lower the overall duty cycle by the same amount. This should reduce tendancy to overboost in 4th adn 5th but give the same or better spoolup in 3rd gear.

Paul
Old 07 January 2005, 11:52 AM
singang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's strange, I played with my AVC-R now for some months and I still don't understand that thing quite clearly.
I happened to lower the overall duty to a minimum (20%) and set the start duty to the highest amount which made my car go like a scooby ; )
Now I changed the values to more or less 80% overall and lowered the start duty to a minimum and in the negativ for 4th and 5th gear. The car feels much slower now!

That thing is hard to understand : )) I guess my Twinscroll also plays a big roll in it...strange response and spoll up times.

I hope to get more knowledge about this AVC-R soon...keep writing your experiences ; )