Notices

Odd knock activity - background noise?

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2005, 09:15 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Odd knock activity - background noise?

Noticed recently that sometimes when I put my foot down at around 3K the knocklink lights up a little. Happens every now and again and after the little blip of the first 2 green LEDs nothing else happens. On the odd occasion when engine quite hot and I pile on the revs it does light up to orange but I don't really boot the car and its only lit up 3 times in 12 months. However this slight blip at 2.5-3K is odd. I'm thinking perhaps its just background noise but not sure.

MY00, K&N panel, decat, TEK2.
Old 05 January 2005, 11:42 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the healthy MY00 UK engines I've seen that haven't been detting don't light up any knocklink LEDs until about 5000 RPM, many not till 6000 RPM.

Consider replacing the MAF. Try optimax if you don't already or a bit of NF as well to see if it shuts up.

If it just happens occasionally I think it is the ECU finding the edge of correct timing.

Last edited by john banks; 05 January 2005 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05 January 2005, 03:11 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

That behaviour doesn't sound at all unusual? On a steady throttle at 2.5-3k there is probably quite a lot of ignition advance (cruising range) and opening the throttle quickly may induce a little engine noise before the ECU pulls back the timing. If the Knocklink is set to max sensitivity, seeing greens should not really be a problem? As John says, the ECU will "dip its toe in the water" to find the threshold of pinking.
JohnD
Old 05 January 2005, 05:20 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

On recent Subaru engines I've listened to with det cans I hear a thunk for any activity below 5000 RPM. Even a flicker of bottom green is easily audible. The det cans made me more paranoid not less. Although cylinder pressure and temp and the degree of det probably determine how much if any damage will occur. However, I usually find that a persistent hot spot in one area will avalanche to good going detonation unless the ECU is hearing it, in which case it shouldn't happen more than a few times through a zone.
Old 05 January 2005, 06:24 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I always use optimax and on the odd occasion it happens, its usually if I'm pootling along gently but then put my foot down to overtake or press on or whatever. It flickers initally but goes quiet and I've tested it by holding it for a fair few revs and at best only get the first one or two greens to flicker.

The MAF is only a few months old and theres no iffy idling and the AFR gauge seems to be doing what it appears it should be doing - or at least what everyone else with one of these gauges says it should do.

Only really noticed it since its been cold. I don't rev the car until its warmed up - or at least until the autometer oil temp gauge is passed 150F. So when it happens its happening at a normal running temp rather than when very hot.

So, can you look into your crystal ball and tell me if its something that I should worry about? If it is det, why would it start doing it now?

Many thanks.
Old 05 January 2005, 07:10 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

A few of us have noticed sparkly knocklinks after a period of cruise when you then first boot it. It may be due to carbon deposits. If it is occasional I wouldn't worry too much.