Notices

Do you have to use octane booster, 95 sti 555

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2004, 10:03 PM
Ollie555
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you have to use octane booster, 95 sti 555

I imported myself a 95 sti 555, can anyone help me, is it essential to use octane booster, i've had mine about 3 months and run it on super but no boost, its got a problem at the moment at 4000 rpm which feels like it could be fuel related, it cuts out, but if you dont floor it, it will go to the redline

Any help much appriciated
Old 14 December 2004, 11:05 AM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

If it hasn't been re-mapped for UK fuel then it will still be mapped for 100RON Japanese fuel. So you should use octane booster, I've found NF to be better than most.

If you want to be one the safe side then you need some way of monitoring det (Knocklink) and fuel (Lamdbalink) as well as a boost gauge.

Do a search and you'll find loads of similar threads with all the answers.

Dave.
Old 14 December 2004, 11:35 AM
STi Blues
Scooby Regular

Hi mate,

It also sounds like your problem is overboost resulting in fuel cut. This is quite a common problem on early Sti's - especially those running a de-cat. I had this problem fixed by fitting a boost contoller set up to run a maximum boost of 1.25bar - below fuel.

I would get it sorted - if you are hitting fuel cut (ie - feels like you have run into a brick wall when accelerating) although I/m no expert I am sure it can't be good for your car.

I haven't had a re-map so always use Optimax and Millers - lights up 2 greens max on knocklink at full chat.

Hope this helps - I know I got really negged out when I couldn't floor it before the fix.
Old 14 December 2004, 09:30 PM
Ollie555
Scooby Newbie

thanks for that i'll have a look
Old 15 December 2004, 10:30 AM
GrantyBoy
Scooby Regular

If it doesn't fell like your hitting a brick wall, more like a lumpy acceleration it probably your spark plugs aren't up to the job. This happend to my Type R. Changed the old plugs NGK PF6B(fine on uk turbo) to NGK PF7B(good for imports and STI's). Problem fixed straight away.

I also use a bottle of Millers octane booster per tank. Get a knocklink fitted as your first mod so you can see if your engine likes the fuel your giving it or is trying to blow itself up!
HTH

Grant