Steering wheel alignment with loaded car

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2004, 08:54 PM
Scoobedoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel alignment with loaded car

Hi All,

I had my tracking done on my WRX03 a couple of months when I got some new rubber fitted. I only had this done coz I was concerned about the outside edges of the tyres being chewed away... since found out its a characteristic of the car

Anyway, tracking was done on a full fuel load as I was advised this was the best way to do it proper.

The car handles just as it did before but the steering sits a tad to the left if i try to hold a straight direction. A slight positive camber on the offside of the vehicle (drivers side) is the only thing that'll bring the wheel level.

I've also noticed that with two fully grown adults sitting on the nearside of the vehicle (passenger and rear passenger) the steering becomes spot .....on but slows the car down too much

I know its probably nothing to be concerned about but its one of those niggles that gets you down.

Should steering geometry be effected in this way? Any thoughts?

Seems that once tracking is messed with its never the same again.

Cheers
Old 02 December 2004, 09:41 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Who did it ?
Old 02 December 2004, 10:02 PM
womandriver
Scooby Regular

Sounds like it was'nt tracked correctly ?
Get a four wheel alignment
They should have clamped the steering wheel straight before they tracked it up,They've prob adjusted the track rod ends unequal ?
Old 02 December 2004, 11:12 PM
Scoobedoo
Scooby Regular

hi,

it was done by a reputable garage because I've read comments on here about them and spoke to people who've had it done and they're good.

the chap who initially tracked it gave it back to me with the wheel way off. He took it back and adjusted the rods on either side to bring the wheels back inline which he said was a valid procedure. He did clamp the wheel initially but told me he must have knocked the steering at some stage in the tracking process.

he said if i still wasn't happy he could remove and re-center the wheel back onto column get it dead straight... but isn't that cheating?
Old 03 December 2004, 06:52 AM
The dogs wheel nuts.
Scooby Newbie

Hi

Get your money back!
It sounds like he should be working for a back street garage, take it to a place that offers four wheel lazer tracking, it costs a bit more but cheaper in the long run (tyres).
Don't let him take the steering wheel off that is just not go practice(I think the blokes a bit of a bellend).

Baz
Old 03 December 2004, 06:56 PM
Scoobedoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The dogs wheel nuts.
Hi

Get your money back!
It sounds like he should be working for a back street garage, take it to a place that offers four wheel lazer tracking, it costs a bit more but cheaper in the long run (tyres).
Don't let him take the steering wheel off that is just not go practice(I think the blokes a bit of a bellend).

Baz
well this particular outfit used a special laser alignment rig to check my car. £88 charge for the work

I had it done some three months ago (3000 miles) so dunno if they are gonna understand my need to have the alignment revisited. Due to the sheer distance from my home I thought I'd leave it till when my service was do (taking it in on Monday). Costs me £20 round trip to go there you see.