Notices

'01/'02 STI Engine into '01 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2004, 09:03 AM
antera309
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01/'02 STI Engine into '01 WRX

I've got a 2001 (Bugeye, 225BHP) UK WRX that I picked up really cheap due to it having very high mileage.

If I decide to keep the car, some engine work will be inevitable at some point in my ownership.

I can justify the cost of a replacement engine, but I'd like to get a bit of a performance boost for my money if possible.

I've seen 2001/2002 STI engines for sale on eBay (obviously from imported Japanese write-offs) here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...PcY_BIN_Stores

These engines come complete with the Turbocharger.

However, will the WRX Gearbox be up to the job, or will I have to replace this with an STI item as well? What about the rear diff?

Most importantly, can I retain my existing wiring and ECU? Project's a non-starter if I have to rewire the car...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 18 November 2004, 07:50 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Firstly, standard 2001 bugeye is 218PS / 215bhp

Secondly, yes the WRX gearbox will cope with 300lbft torque, maybe 330. The standard STi engine produces 260ish (UK spec), or a bit more in Jap spec - so should be OK, but could easily get to ~320 or 330lbft, at which point, gearbox life would be shortened. STi normally has a 6 speed box, which is MUCH stronger, and has an extra gear, closer ratios etc

STi engine has various things that are different to the WRX - e.g. variable cam timing, therefore you'd potentially need new ECU.

If you expect to replace your engine at some point, David at API engines has got a very good reputation on here, and will have a banner ad or something. Suggest giving him a call, or one of the other well-respected tuners - they'll give good advice on all the practicalities.
Old 18 November 2004, 09:50 PM
antera309
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply. My bad regarding the "official" power figure. I've done a lot of interesting engine swaps in my time, but I'm quite new to Scoobys...

An STI 6 speed CR box would be a great thing to have for it's extra strength and for keeping the engine "on boost" while driving, but I can't imagine that they're cheap, and I might need a matching rear diff (different FDR perhaps?) which would push the cost up even more...

I'll give API a call regarding the swap. Hopefully, we're only talking about an ECU & engine loom swap...
Old 19 November 2004, 10:14 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Antera309, I have replied to your email. Let me know if I can help further.

David APi Engines / APi Impreza