Notices

Can't find CEL plugs (MY01 WRX, UK)

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2004, 10:48 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can't find CEL plugs (MY01 WRX, UK)

Evening all.

I'm really posting on behalf of the wife, whose UK-spec MY01 WRX is showing the engine check light (stuck 'on') for the second time. New to Scoobs myself, I've had a good sniff around for tips and know that the ECU can be interrogated (and reset) with the use of connectors under the dash.

Problem -- I can't find the second 'black' connector under the dash, driver's side.

Am I right in that there should be 2 x black connectors and 2 x green connectors, but it's the blacks that will help me get a series of pulses..? The two greens I've found, along with a white connector and single black one (taped up with blue tape) but I simply cannot spot a second black one and it's driving me nuts.

Thought I'd better double-check that a MY01 still has two back plugs, in case I'm looking for something that doesn't exist! LOL!

Any help for my sanity will be much appreciated. Whilst I'm waiting, I'll see if I can massage the pedal prints out of my forehead.

Cheers,

Jonty (for Karen)
Old 16 November 2004, 11:11 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jonty,
you cant do what you propose with the new age. You can with the classics you will need to take it into a dealer and get him to fit the delta dash to find out what code you have flashed up or if you have a mate who has a secs unit borrow that off him and do it yourself.
Old 16 November 2004, 11:13 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Smile Hmmm, green plugs...

Okay, this seems a bit silly replying to my own post but the missus asked me to try something...

I've just come back in from the cold having connected together the green connectors (ignition off, plugged then together, ignition on). The cooling fan(s) were audibly trying to make music by constantly revving up, then down, then repeat. I let them do this for about 30 seconds and then killed the ignition before disconnecting the green connectors.

Heh heh, the engine check light has now gone so I'm guessing I've just performed some kind of reset..?

I'd still appreciate some feedback on this and have told the missus to drive the car normally tomorrow, so if a sensor is in trouble then she'll hopefully replicate the problem again (and the way she drives it won't be too hard!)

Cheers,

Jonty (and Karen)
Old 16 November 2004, 11:22 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb Saved me from hours of heartache no doubt

Gussy, Hi.

Many thanks for the info. After 30 minutes with my head under the dash, I really was beginning to think I was either going blind, going nuts, or looking for something which didn't exist. Looks like I had the right idea, but just not possible. Ah well.

Thanks for saving me from hours and hours of getting nowhere. We'll keep an eye on the check light and if it re-appears a third time then the wife'll have to book it in with our friendly dealership in Taplow.

Many thanks.

Jonty (and Karen)

Originally Posted by gussy
Jonty,
you cant do what you propose with the new age. You can with the classics you will need to take it into a dealer and get him to fit the delta dash to find out what code you have flashed up or if you have a mate who has a secs unit borrow that off him and do it yourself.
Old 16 November 2004, 11:27 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After a little while your cel light will come on again Im afraid.I did exactly what you have just done before the best bet is to pop it into your dealer and ask him to check it and he will tell you which cel code has flashed up and if he is a good dealer it should cost you nowt in my case it was an egt fault which I cured with a cel fix.