Notices

APS top mount = more boost without remap ?

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2004, 09:02 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APS top mount = more boost without remap ?

I have a UK with TD05 walbro, TEK3, pressure reg,decat etc. Mapped by bob and peaks at 1.5 bar in second, and about 1.4bar in 3 and 4 etc, and tails off slightly nearer the red line.

If I changed standard intercooler for an APS, would this inherintly increase the boost without a remap ?. Whilst it would be great in an ideal world to get a remap if I went top mount. Do I really need to get remap. ?.
Old 13 November 2004, 10:21 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read something about them not dropping so much boost between turbo and engine, so potentially you would see slightly more boost at the engine. The charge air would also be cooler which is a good thing as cooler air = more power.

P.S It was mapped by Pat not Bob
Old 13 November 2004, 10:23 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Quote from another thread (which you may of already seen)

"Things like the APS TMIC supposedly drop 1-2 psi less boost across the intercooler than the standard top mount. The td04 struggles to make a high boost, and so "throwing away" 1-2psi less boost will be a more than worthwhile gain. Smaller turbos are also prone to generating hot charge. Therefore, I suggest there are noticeable benefits to having a better intercooler, no matter the turbo. Ultimately with a TD04, the turbo is too small and too restrictive to make really big power, but personally I'd prefer a small, lower-lag turbo making 285bhp than a big, laggy 300bhp.

The two highest power td04 cars I've ever seen (one made 312 on PE's rollers) have both been running uprated TMIC. IIRC, AndyF has a top mount (albeit a somewhat special one) and is in the mid-high 10s for the quarter mile.

Regarding the best TMIC - several have had success with the APS one, probably less common but equally liked is the MRT, the hyperflow is big and looks decent, there are others, but can't comment on them. The STi8 one will probably not be up to these ones, but will be a step up on what you have, and will be cheaper."
Old 14 November 2004, 08:19 AM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Cheers Mattey! Looks like a TMIC could well be on the shopping list of bits to buy then.
Old 14 November 2004, 09:32 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

i put a bigger tmic on when i had my td04 and it needed a remap to use the intercooler properly, as when i added mine for some reason i got a little more lag hence the remap. but it was excellent after the new map
Old 14 November 2004, 07:37 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

What a great quote.

Whether you get more boost into the enging depends on where the ECU is measuring to achieve the target boost (i.e. before or after the intercooler). I can't remember where the connection is, to be honest

Either way, if the intercooler is making a big difference to something, you will need a remap to get the best out of it. The aforementioned 312bhp at PE on a TD04 with the APS TMIC definitely had a second remap upon fitting the intercooler.
Old 14 November 2004, 08:49 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

when i had my car mapped on a td05 it ran 1.6/1.7 bar of boost ive never seen many fmic cars running that boost never mind on a tmic
Old 14 November 2004, 09:17 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

The way I see it is, any uprated intercooler has got to be a good thing, with or without a remap. Lowering the charge temp can only help things.

Might upgrade, bolt it on and see how it goes, and think about re-map, if knocklink starts lighting up. Would be nice to see some more performance, but if nothing else the upgrade will give me comfort that lowering the charge temp should help longevity of car.

As I have said under a previous post, this car is my daily drive and whilst I could afford to fix it if it goes bang. I am looking for maximum performance without worrying evertime I drive it will it cost me. I don't rag the car, just play with it once in a whilet.

However after reading some posts in the project section, I do doubt whether an uprated TMIC will make any difference, other than longevity, with the MODS I am currently running.

But hey modding my car is what keeps me interested in it, so guess I will have to go for it, and post the results another day.
Old 14 November 2004, 10:10 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobEvo5
The way I see it is, any uprated intercooler has got to be a good thing, with or without a remap. Lowering the charge temp can only help things.

Might upgrade, bolt it on and see how it goes, and think about re-map, if knocklink starts lighting up. Would be nice to see some more performance, but if nothing else the upgrade will give me comfort that lowering the charge temp should help longevity of car.

As I have said under a previous post, this car is my daily drive and whilst I could afford to fix it if it goes bang. I am looking for maximum performance without worrying evertime I drive it will it cost me. I don't rag the car, just play with it once in a whilet.

However after reading some posts in the project section, I do doubt whether an uprated TMIC will make any difference, other than longevity, with the MODS I am currently running.

But hey modding my car is what keeps me interested in it, so guess I will have to go for it, and post the results another day.
my car is currently at the limit of its gearbox and engine with my mods as long as its mapped properly your engine should be ok gearbox will break on torque and how you throw the gear changes in but if you are sensible you should be ok there as well if you are only starting to think about an APS intercooler i doubt you have any worries at all
Old 15 November 2004, 08:20 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

A remap would help, but I wouldn't bother with a remap on a TEK3 for just a TMIC intercooler change. If you were going 550's or 440's with an SX regulator and some headers then it would be worth spending the extra £300 (ish) on the remap.

I certainly can't see any detromental effect of going for a bigger intercooler on your current set-up

A remap may of helped a TD04 if as mentioned above it became a little more laggy, but that all depends how aggressive the duty cycle map was in the TD04's ECU.